Author Topic: What types of lamps exist on streetlight?  (Read 567 times)
Jan_it30

View Posts
View Gallery

What types of lamps exist on streetlight? « on: May 10, 2023, 12:35:25 PM » Author: Jan_it30
How many types of streetlight lamps exists? Like fluorescent, MV, HPS and more... I had seen some videos of SON, HPL-N and more lamps but i dont know the meaning of that letters.

Can anybody tell me the different bulb types and the names?
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What types of lamps exist on streetlight? « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 03:41:21 PM » Author: AngryHorse
There’s generally just 2 types, sodium and mercury, not including LED!
Sodium comes in low pressure (SO, SOI, SOX and SLI), and high pressure (NAV, HPS, SON, LUCALOX)
Mercury also comes in low/medium pressure (Fluorescent MCFE, PL, MA), and high pressure (MB, MBF HQL, HPL), and then mercury halide/metal halide (MBI, HPI, HIT, HQI).
It’s just the nomenclature that’s confusing!  8)
Have a read of Lamptech in the links section, everything you ever needed to know is there!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 03:55:07 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What types of lamps exist on streetlight? « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 09:23:53 PM » Author: BT25
Don't forget metal-halide in all of its various forms.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What types of lamps exist on streetlight? « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 12:15:25 AM » Author: joseph_125
I suppose high wattage incandescent hasn't been mentioned yet, it's largely extinct in the wild now but it wasn't too uncommon to find a small town or even a city with some incandescent streetlights during the MV era and even into the HPS era. Of the incandescent lamps, two major types were used for streetlighting, multiple and series. Multiple lamps basically ran directly off line voltage. Series required special lamps, shunts in the luminaire and a series regulator. The main advantages of series was the more consistent output on a string or lights, and I believe they were slightly more efficient than multiple lamps.

I suppose halogen could have also been used for streetlighting but I'm not sure if any large scale installs happened as by the time halogen lamps were introduced, MV was the dominant source. 
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What types of lamps exist on streetlight? « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 12:02:14 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Don't forget metal-halide in all of its various forms.
Already included 8), the MH is a “mercury discharge with metallic additives” (Thorn Lighting 1978), so technically still a mercury lamp   ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:17:47 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What types of lamps exist on streetlight? « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 12:14:55 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I suppose high wattage incandescent hasn't been mentioned yet, it's largely extinct in the wild now but it wasn't too uncommon to find a small town or even a city with some incandescent streetlights during the MV era and even into the HPS era. Of the incandescent lamps, two major types were used for streetlighting, multiple and series. Multiple lamps basically ran directly off line voltage. Series required special lamps, shunts in the luminaire and a series regulator. The main advantages of series was the more consistent output on a string or lights, and I believe they were slightly more efficient than multiple lamps.

I suppose halogen could have also been used for streetlighting but I'm not sure if any large scale installs happened as by the time halogen lamps were introduced, MV was the dominant source.
There’s some rare photos of our little town in the early 1900s that show tungsten lighting in the old existing gas lanterns, but I’m not sure if higher wattage were ever used?, I’m guessing they may have been at some point?
Sadly they were all gone by 1972 when I entered the world so I never got to see them!
I am glad I got to experience our town lit in mercury though, before the mass SOX takeover in  the summer of 1980!

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies