Author Topic: End of an era for Sylvania?  (Read 5330 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #45 on: May 24, 2023, 08:33:03 PM » Author: Maxim
This stuff makes me sad.

Also, why are modern-day companies so cheap? Why are 90% of all lighting plants shuttered / demolished in the USA? What about the jobs? I understand it costs more, but hasn’t it for a long time? Why did so many factories shutter in the late 2000s? (Sylvania, Phillips come to mind here).

It makes no sense, other than to make a heftier sum of money. Why the greed?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 09:04:57 PM by obsessedstreetlight24 » Logged

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #46 on: May 24, 2023, 08:46:25 PM » Author: Lcubed3
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 08:49:43 PM by Lcubed3 » Logged

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #47 on: May 24, 2023, 09:06:02 PM » Author: Maxim
 :DeAtH:, sad but true.  :sadbulb: :sadbulb:

My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #48 on: May 24, 2023, 09:38:28 PM » Author: BT25
Sourced by Savant, from other third party manufacturers.

Same with Philips/Signify NA...their lamps appear to be coming from a generic lamp plant in China, just like the off-brands sold here. There appears to be no superior quality brands anymore... ::)

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #49 on: May 24, 2023, 10:01:52 PM » Author: joseph_125
I suppose the Indian made and Polish made fluorescent lamps coming from Signify might be the last of the decently made modern lamps. Found some Polish made Philips 3000K F32T8s at the Restore at $1/2 pack. I usually don't but them but I figured they won't be around for long and the price was good so I picked up a couple of packs. 
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #50 on: May 25, 2023, 03:18:57 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Sorry, Hamilton is gone now too  :'(

By the way Rich, there isn't an apostrophe in 'its' in this context  :P  :mrg:
Predictive text for you!
Ouch!, wasn’t aware Hamilton was demolished too!, so the big 3 are distant memories now!, what a sad end to the British lighting industry!  :-\

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #51 on: May 25, 2023, 05:21:56 AM » Author: Rommie
Indeed  :'(

Predictive text, well that's what you get doing everything on a so-called 'smart' phone..! If it's that smart, how come it doesn't know..?  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #52 on: May 25, 2023, 01:31:04 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Well it is Apple?, so programmed with American English!

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #53 on: May 25, 2023, 07:03:18 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
BAH.  Apple, AI, garbage. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #54 on: May 25, 2023, 09:07:16 PM » Author: Maxim
Alllll garbage, just like cheap Chinese lighting.  :led2: :eoled: :ledtoilet:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #55 on: May 26, 2023, 02:27:20 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve just noticed your signature, great to see another Judge Judy fan on here!  8;)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #56 on: May 26, 2023, 07:22:00 AM » Author: Rommie
We rather like her as well, we have about 140 episodes recorded we haven't watched yet  :lol:

I just love the way she takes no nonsense from anybody, I sometimes feel like doing that on here, but I'm not sure how it would go down with some people :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #57 on: May 26, 2023, 07:48:21 AM » Author: Maxim
I’ve just noticed your signature, great to see another Judge Judy fan on here!  8;)
8;)

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #58 on: June 04, 2023, 07:45:08 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Almost all metal arc metal halide lamps made in China are crap compared to the older GTE ones. The newer stuff has thinner glass, less mercury, and worse lifespan. I have had nothing but negative feedback for those made in China m58 lamps. Sylvania really went downhill after the Osram era. Sylvania is just buying crap from Alibaba and putting its logo on it. It is very easy for them to do that and it doesn't cost them s***. After manufacturing went away in the United States, once great companies are nothing but greedy retailers that import cheap labor items that make you have to buy more of them because they wear out faster than quality goods. It's really sad that Sylvania is no longer a good brand, I really liked their Sylvania Unalux and Lumalux lamps and all of the GTE stuff. But good things always have to come to an end, unfortunately.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 10:05:42 PM by Robotjulep » Logged

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #59 on: June 11, 2023, 11:40:01 AM » Author: Maxim
We rather like her as well, we have about 140 episodes recorded we haven't watched yet  :lol:

I just love the way she takes no nonsense from anybody, I sometimes feel like doing that on here, but I'm not sure how it would go down with some people :mrg:

That’s what I love about her, lol. Also her bluntness is a nice refresher in this day and age. :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies