Author Topic: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet  (Read 760 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « on: January 02, 2024, 12:34:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
Okay, so I've thought about this for a long time. Over thinking about it at times...
... I've given up the search for five footer HO fixtures, since they're tough to find. So now I'm looking for help, and would be willing to pay some...
CASH... for the help. If someone can cut a few 8 footer fixtures down to 5 footer fixtures, and then SELL THEM each on Ebay, I would purchase them...
one by one. I'm looking for just the fixtures themselves, with the sockets. Wiring would be cool too, but no ballasts. If anyone is interested, I'm hoping
for seven fixtures total... so seven fixtures, five feet each. I would eventually hop on Ebay and buy a fixture once I have the money for it... each
time, one by one, until all fixtures were bought. Just as long as the price of each fixture does not exceed 150 dollars.
I don't know, as of now this is just an idea for fixtures I'm wanting, but if anyone can chop down several HO fixtures down to five footers for me,
please let me know! Also, the fixtures must be ready for me to install the ballasts, etc.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 03:29:24 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Have you thought of making homemade fixtures?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 03:45:26 PM » Author: suzukir122
Nope. I don't have the resources to create any type of homemade fixtures. lol... my goal is to stick with the 5 footer HO Rapid Start two lamp strip idea
for shelf up-lighting. I want it to look as professional as I can get it to be. I don't trust my skill level in terms of making any sort of homemade fixture,
even if it pertains to the HO up-lighting idea of mine.
With that said, I'm willing to PAY a lighting enthusiast to create the five footer fixtures for me.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 09:42:28 PM » Author: joseph_125
I haven't looked into how much it would cost, but I have considered making drawings of custom fluorescent fixtures and then sending it off to local sheet metal fabricators for quotes. In theory then you can make any fixture you want, even something like a 5ft HO louver.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 10:06:10 PM » Author: suzukir122
I would make custom drawings, but my skill level is far down in terms of that as well. That, and any sort of complexed math measurements... not my forte.
Then also the expense of sheet metal fabrication. lol... I'd rather get someone who knows how to cut down fixtures and pay them. I've given this a lot of
thought. Not sure if I'll be able to find anyone willing to do so, since HO fixtures are awesome, vintage beasts. Not many lighting enthusiasts would be
willing, which is understandable.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 08:31:47 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm still also interested in the 6 footer HO fixtures as well, which are a little more common than 5 footer HO fixtures, but of course, I'm having
trouble finding those online as well. The lamps and ballasts can be found with ease, but the fixtures are very tough to find anywhere online.

Interests:

LightBulbFun

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 05:39:45 PM » Author: LightBulbFun
just thinking, I wonder if it might be worth your while to contact Don93s, he makes some pretty nicely finished custom length fixtures from time to time for all his odd-ball tubes

perhaps he might be willing to do something on commission for you? DaveLay also sometimes does custom fixture work and on commission also so he may be worth a shout also :)

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster (formerly Bulb Freak)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 09:28:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder if Visioneering still makes the 5ft HO model of the COM-2 to order. Anyway the spec sheet still lists a 60in HO option but I'm not sure how much of those they get orders for.

Chopping down a fixture isn't too hard, I did it carefully using a angle grinder last time but even a Dremel will be easy. The harder part is cutting the slots for the end plates and socket bars to snap into. However some fixture designs use screws to fasten the end plates and socket bars so on those designs, it's just a matter of drill some holes.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 10:18:17 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I've never seen a 5-foot fixture of any type. I ended up making my own to run a pair of 58w UK preheat ballasts & T8's in.

As far as cutting down a longer fixture, if its one of the thin-metal modern ones, you could pretty much do it with tinsnips .lol.
But best thing I've found is a Dremel tool & #409 cutoff discs. You can get a pretty clean cut if you take your time (and the cut is thin enough that you can use the remaining shorter fixture piece to make another fixture :) )
Its truly not that hard, just a bit time-consuming. I've cut or completely made multiple fixtures in my time.

Oh and once you've got a Dremel tool, you'll be glad you bought it, they're quite handy to have around.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 11:21:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
Five foot fixtures are pretty rare, rarer than 6ft and 3ft fixtures. I think the 5 footers mostly saw use in refrigerator lighting and those troffers designed for 5 foot ceiling grids. Even then most of those troffers used 4ft lamps with metal plate to fit into a 5ft grid.

T17 fixtures were also 5ft but those are pretty rare too. I'd agree with xmaslightsguy, I'd buy a Dremel and the correct cut off discs and then practice on a fixture you were going to scrap/part out. Then once you have your technique nailed down, track down some used 8ft HO fixtures on CL, Facebook, etc and then cut them down yourself.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 11:38:11 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Just a bit of advice when using a Dremel with a cutting disc, as well as eye protection, hearing protection is vital as well.!  :wndr: :poof:
I didn't use earplugs and I've now got tinnitus...  :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Wanted: HO Fluorescent Fixtures Cut Down to Five Feet « Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 12:32:53 PM » Author: suzukir122
I've used dremels with a cutting disc before, but in my case, the cutting disc was fragile and I had to replace it time and time again. I guess it depends on the type of cutting disc used. But cutting things is not my forte, as much as I hate to say it. I've learned that the hard way a few times in the past.
I may just go ahead and give in, and look for the F48T12 HO fixtures. Either that or maybe I can find 6 footer Lithonia HO fixtures based on part numbers. I've found their 8 and 4 footer HO fixtures online, but none that were 6 footers. All the fixtures I found though seemed a bit more... modern... and too slim to fit a full power HO magnetic ballast.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies