Author Topic: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps?  (Read 1680 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « on: June 03, 2023, 04:04:56 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I was reading people’s comments about their reactions to 52 CRI 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps, I noticed that they often express dislike for such a phosphor formulation and color temperature. I wonder why so many people on this site have such a great disdain for such fluorescent lamps while I absolutely love their color?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 07:59:48 PM » Author: RRK
Probably because of its unbalanced light and poor color rendering. People are habituated with 3000K sources having 100% CRI. I like similar old-school pink color (orange phosphor + mercury) though  not for general lighting, but for retro neon sign look.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 03:11:20 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I think we’ve just all been spoiled with Tri-phosphors !  ;), the most common colour in the UK was ‘white 35’ when I was a kid, but that was about the only colour that was used in domestic applications?
When I moved into my own house in 1995, for lighting I wanted 2 foot twin battens everywhere!, these came supplied with T8 white 35 tubes and it never bothered me until I bought my first Tri-phosphor tube.

But wow!, did I get a surprise when I fitted my first pairs of Philips 830s in my kitchen!  8), they brought colours out I hadn’t even noticed before!, after that I changed every tube in the house to either 830s or 840s!
Ever since that day I now see how ugly the halo phosphor 35 colour is now, and I never went back to using them!

I do still have a pair of hallo 27s in the loft though running in one of my ex kitchen lights, so they are still alive and kicking!  :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 03:25:32 AM » Author: dor123
Ugly pinkish brownish white light, at least how I've seen it at Aluteva with Leuci 530 color 18W lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 04:57:08 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Yeah they look kind of gross tbh. Doesn't stop me from collecting and using them, and sometimes I find them attractive to use depending on the situation. but they aren't really that good in terms of light quality.

I like halophosphate cool white and daylight tho. It has that neat industrial look.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 11:29:53 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 11:39:14 AM » Author: joseph_125
@HomeBrewLamps - Yeah that was how I felt about the old halophosphate /WWs too. Granted I also never really liked lower CCT fluorescent lamps in most cases. I'd always preferred 4100K and 5000K when I got to pick the lamps. The old halophosphate /CWs on the other hand had a bit of vintage charm to them, just like the old /DX MV cans that used to be common in large buildings here.
Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 10:55:43 PM » Author: Lcubed3
I don't like lower CRI light sources for indoor use because they make everything look pale and lifeless.

In fact, I don't like warm white in general! However, I am the only one in this house who seems not to like warm white. This house was 100% incandescent (except in enclosed fixtures, where CFL was used) until around 2016, when LEDs came down in price. Thus it remained, until I got interested in lighting. I replaced a few LEDs with CFLs, but I was (and still am) not allowed to use color temperatures above 3000K for general lighting (This does not apply to spaces not often used by my mom). I use higher color temperatures whenever possible, though.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 01:08:38 AM » Author: suzukir122
Not sure of the CRI, but I did use Halophosphate Warm White T12's for my room for a bit there before I moved out of that particular apartment.
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1854&pos=7&pid=217634. (I still have those 25w energy saver lamps.)
This was while I was getting ready to move... I used them for several weeks. Although I don't prefer it as general room lighting, I definitely
don't hate it. I usually personally like Halophosphate better than Triphosphate, in most cases.
The worst Halophosphate Warm White that I've ever seen, was -- believe it or not -- from a CFL! A triple U-tube 15w CFL, made by the company
"Factory 2-U," which I had bought from one of their stores as a kid. Very rare scenario seeing that form of CFL with that kind of Phosphor,
but it was by far the worst Halophosphate WW I had ever seen. I confirmed it was Halophosphate when I flipped my eyes up and down while switching
the lamp off/on constantly. The afterglow was very bright orange, almost yellow. My skin appeared very, very pale... and the lamp lumens seemed
extremely lower than the average CFL, etc. Definitely dim. Might've also been underpowered. Cheapo construction as well.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 12:02:52 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I think the reason why people dislike 3000K fluorescent lighting is the low CRI and the 3000K still seems a little cool in color temperature to the 2700K incandescent lamps. But 52 CRI is almost like coated MV so I actually like the lower CRI because it reminds me of mercs. Personally, I like BX-type CFL bulbs in recessed can lighting, preferably 3500-4000K and low CRI because they work great in hallways and you don't need much CRI in that application.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 11:28:49 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Honestly , I don't like any warm white fluorescent lamps.  The color is just too "brown" for my tastes .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

F40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 09:13:41 PM » Author: F40
I think WW has a really neat almost otherworldly glow and I prefer it over CW most times. I like to describe WW as a “peaches and cream” color that I find soothing surprisingly. The glow of any 4000k light can sometimes make my (already severe) anxiety worse.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 09:33:05 PM » Author: Richmond2000
for ME *I don't like them* as everything around them becomes "dirty" and brown-washed
* 100% would collect and enjoy" them in there own way but for "general lighting" no thanks
* I often enjoy running HPS in my house for lighting in the evenings OR a DX merc
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 12:14:37 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Warm white is supposed to be a mix of brown and white but in halophosphate versions, a sickly pinkish glow is seen.
But I'm still curious about the pinkish colour. Won't meat look tastier in it, just like pink meat lamps?

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 06:36:31 AM » Author: Laurens
Deep reds are very lacking with any non-deluxe halophosphate tubes. So red meat will likely look very unappetizing, much darker than it really is.

Warm white halophosphate is *the* color of the backrooms. Things turn desaturated and warm-beige under their light. It can be used to reach certain pleasing effects, but as general overhead lighting it makes spaces seem unreal. Just something a bit off. The feeling when you walk through some office that wasn't renovated since the late 1980s, still with a faint musty scent of cigarettes from the era that smoking in the office was still allowed. Warm brown panels and yellowed plastic dates the building, which somehow still is operating today. In a storage closet at the end of a hallway with some tubes flickering, you find a bunch of beige CRT computer monitors that no one has ever dared to throw away because they've just always been there, and no one knows whose responsibility they are.

My WW 530 tubes don't really have a pink hue - it's more yellowish beige. My 930 on the other hand has a very obvious pink hue to it, which i don't quite like. So i'm running the 530 more often as workbench lighting than the top of the line 930. The workbench with all the 60s and 70s test equipment looks like a perfectly happy place to be in the creamy beige 530 light.

Some 8w 530s are lighting some dark corners where they don't actually shine light on any objects that have much color in them - just the plain white wall paint. So any absence of color rendering is not obvious.

Cold white halophosphate on the other hand, is almost never acceptable to me if it's the only light source in the room. It makes spaces look like a refrigerator or slaughter house and it makes people look pale and very unhealthy.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:50:27 AM by Laurens » Logged
Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do so many people dislike 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps? « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 03:18:21 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
Whenever I was reading people’s comments about their reactions to 52 CRI 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps, I noticed that they often express dislike for such a phosphor formulation and color temperature. I wonder why so many people on this site have such a great disdain for such fluorescent lamps while I absolutely love their color?

Why though?  3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps emit a pretty nice light! In my opinion cool white and 3000K halophosphate warm white fluorescent lamps have the best light temperatures among other fluorescent tube color temperatures. :bulbman:

LEDs are like an apocalypse! They slowly take over the world wiping out every other type of lamp and fixture!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies