Author Topic: Repairing a broken mercury lamp?  (Read 629 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Repairing a broken mercury lamp? « on: June 10, 2023, 01:49:24 PM » Author: RadiantMV
So for some reason (idk why, just randomly came off when i took it out of the sleeve) the top part (the “knob” of a BT37 lamp) of my 400 watt mercury vapor blacklight broke off, leaving the top of the arc tube exposed. Since the broken part is all in one piece and the woods glass is very thick, would it be possible to use some heat resistant glue to put the lamp back together? I plan to get a new lamp anyways since the UV output is getting lower but in the meantime.
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Repairing a broken mercury lamp? « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 03:00:58 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I don't think glue will work because a 400 watt mercury lamp generates a lot of heat. If the arc tube is still usable, why not try fitting it in a halogen fixture? I made a remotely-ballasted 300w mercury vapor floodlight using an old AEL decorator halogen floodlight. I recommend using ONLY a halogen floodlight designed for the wattage though as it can be a fire hazard if the arc tube is too big. Note: This only works for "type-R" HID lamps because the open-rated ones will self-extinguish. The arc tube came out of a broken HF-300x bt-37 mercury vapor lamp.

See here: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=7721&pos=2&pid=228705

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Repairing a broken mercury lamp? « Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 08:57:14 PM » Author: RRK
So for some reason (idk why, just randomly came off when i took it out of the sleeve) the top part (the “knob” of a BT37 lamp) of my 400 watt mercury vapor blacklight broke off, leaving the top of the arc tube exposed. Since the broken part is all in one piece and the woods glass is very thick, would it be possible to use some heat resistant glue to put the lamp back together? I plan to get a new lamp anyways since the UV output is getting lower but in the meantime.

Special sorts of glass are always tricky in the work, sometimes giving nasty surprises, and the inside surface of the top part might get nicked by a support frame. Glass tubing is very much weakened by the scratches on the inside. No way to use any organic glue as the tube will be too hot. Some silicone could probably survive for a limited time, but I am not sure. Also a loop of a gold kapton tape may temporary fix this.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 09:01:21 PM by RRK » Logged
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing a broken mercury lamp? « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 12:18:56 AM » Author: RadiantMV
I don't think glue will work because a 400 watt mercury lamp generates a lot of heat. If the arc tube is still usable, why not try fitting it in a halogen fixture? I made a remotely-ballasted 300w mercury vapor floodlight using an old AEL decorator halogen floodlight. I recommend using ONLY a halogen floodlight designed for the wattage though as it can be a fire hazard if the arc tube is too big. Note: This only works for "type-R" HID lamps because the open-rated ones will self-extinguish. The arc tube came out of a broken HF-300x bt-37 mercury vapor lamp.

See here: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=7721&pos=2&pid=228705
could you stick it in a 400 watt cobrahead? The glass refractor would block the UV in the same way as the floodlight glass.
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Repairing a broken mercury lamp? « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 01:48:52 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I think it would work in a cobrahead, but if the cobrahead isn't vapor tight like a floodlight, it will emit a lot of foul-smelling ozone in the air.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies