Author Topic: Has anyone seen a corncobbed HID fixture in the wild get converted back to HID?  (Read 657 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone seen a corncobbed HID fixture in the wild get converted back to HID? « on: June 15, 2023, 04:53:28 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if anyone has seen any HID fixture outside of anyone's collection that got an LED retrofit only to be later converted back to its original HID light source such as a corncobbed metal halide fixture that got converted back to metal halide after the LED corncob lamp failed.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone seen a corncobbed HID fixture in the wild get converted back to HID? « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 05:33:28 AM » Author: sol
No, but I've seen a Cooper Vanguard HPS replaced with an AEL Watch Light, only for a few days and replaced back with another Vanguard HPS. Presumably the LED unit failed, and I imagine it was strobing but I didn't see it at night. It was too long ago and I don't know the people who rent the light enough to ask but I found it interesting.
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Has anyone seen a corncobbed HID fixture in the wild get converted back to HID? « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 01:57:51 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I wonder if anyone has seen any HID fixture outside of anyone's collection that got an LED retrofit only to be later converted back to its original HID light source such as a corncobbed metal halide fixture that got converted back to metal halide after the LED corncob lamp failed.

I've seen a Cooper Lighting CLS XS40 floodlight that was originally 400w HPS corn-cobbed, but later the entire fixture was replaced with LED. Unfortunately, I wasn't there during the replacement and couldn't get the fixture. It seems like if a corn-cob burns out in an HID fixture, the whole fixture is replaced. Instead of using made in China corn lamp rubbish, use a coated LED filament lamp that can retrofit the luminaire. In Japan, there are BT-shape coated LED lamps. They are already making low wattage replacement lamps, but they make higher wattage lamps convex-shape. Both types reduce glare compared to an LED cob lamp or LED fixture. Only problem is they are expensive. They do make a lot of these lamps in many color temperatures though: 2100K, 2700K, 3000K, 4000K, 5000K and possibly more. Last of all, why not use coated LED filament lamps? (if they even exist).

Coated BT-shape LED lamps See here:https://www.eye.co.jp/lighting/sources/led/Lamp_G.html

Cobrahead convex retrofit lamps See here: https://denki.tss-shop.com/products/LDFS50L-G-E39D-721

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Has anyone seen a corncobbed HID fixture in the wild get converted back to HID? « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 06:14:23 PM » Author: BT25
No, they're either relamped with another LED, or replaced.
And another thing...they're not corn cobs...marketing "geniuses" came up with that. These are just COB lamps (chip-on-board).

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone seen a corncobbed HID fixture in the wild get converted back to HID? « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 06:37:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think I first saw the corn cob name on sites like eBay or Aliexpress but I guess the name eventually was used to describe all LED screw in lamps in that shape with exposed diodes. Ironically most corn cob LED lamps I've seen use individual SMD (surface mount diode) LEDs instead of COB LED chips that contain multiple diodes per chip. :P

In pretty much all cases I've seen where someone reverted back to HID from LED, the luminaire was swapped with a new HID luminaire instead.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies