Author Topic: What is this????  (Read 4851 times)
DimBulb

View Posts
View Gallery

What is this???? « on: May 13, 2011, 08:22:14 AM » Author: DimBulb
Just something I found on ebay, what is it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RARE-PLUG-FLUORESCENT-TUBE-MADE-AUSTRIA-/220779611755?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item33677d866b

My very first word was LIGHT!

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:57:22 AM » Author: SeanB~1
Not a flourescent lamp, but an incandescent lamp with a very long filament that stretched from one end of the tube to the other. Mostly used for vanity lighting and undercounter/ cove lighting and other indirect lighting.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:59:03 AM » Author: Powell
That's really interesting. I wonder if it works?

Powell

NNNN!

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:49 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Probably, those lamps run quite cool, and the long filament is generally well supported. I ran one as a wake up light for around 15 years before it failed, and it was a used lamp to boot. Replaced with a nice 16CP carbon filament lamp.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:04:39 PM » Author: Medved
Here are still sold spare lamps for these "fixtures", I planed to use few as fluorescent ballast (i like unusual setups... :-D ), but didn't find the lampholder for them...

No more selfballasted c***

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:46:06 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Those holders are rare, you do not see them much at all, even the lamps themselves are only found as odd items at the back of the stock room.
DimBulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:53:24 PM » Author: DimBulb
Wow, cool info! Kinda like a Lumiline.
So, when were these produced?

My very first word was LIGHT!

Nevada Willis

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:04:43 AM » Author: Nevada Willis
Wow, cool info! Kinda like a Lumiline.
So, when were these produced?

I think it is a form of lumiline.  I remember seeing a lot of them in the 50s and 60s and as kids we found an intact fixture at the town dump and used it to light our club house in the back yard.  There was a time kids could get just about anything at the dump.  Nowadays everyone is scared of liability.  Too bad.  A lot of cool stuff is getting buried or shredded... or going to the "collectibles" stores where it costs three times what it's worth.

BTW, for those of you who liked HPS and HID highway lighting, they're biting the dust in another state.  Nevada is switching them out for LEDs as fast as the crews can raise their high ranger buckets!  Nothing stays the same.  We should have all invested in LEDs.  Oh yeah, the Chinese own all of them so we couldn't.  At least MV fixtures were mostly made in the USA.  Aaah, for the days of the blue-green glow.

":O) Willis

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What is this???? « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:06 PM » Author: Silverliner
@dimbulb that is an European long tubular incandescent bulb, used in similar applications where Lumilines would be used. Philips and Osram made 120v versions for use in the USA but they are rarely seen.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: What is this???? « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:47 PM » Author: TL8W
These are known in the UK as "architectural" strip lights and replacement bulbs are very expensive - some are still available, though. The ones seen in UK and Europe are up to three foot long, and are often used dimmed for "effect" in clubs/bars etc. However they're being overtaken by Leds and fluorescent types.

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 03:14:34 PM » Author: Medved
Ithink creations like Osram "Seamless" family are good replacement...

No more selfballasted c***

imj
Re: What is this???? « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 12:10:14 PM » Author: imj
Drop it and it's dead. That's what happened to my 35w Osram Linestra, the filament broke..:P. Another one that has fragile filament is the Osram so called 'Pinch Technology' halogen lamps. I bought their MR16 and the filament broke because it was stored in a drawer that I think made the filament flex so when I turned it on after a few uses it blew at the end where it flexed. I think Osram's quality has dropped not because it is made in China but their products do not last as it used to. Their CFLs used to last more than 12 years and literally I've seen them last that long..their new range is from a year to 6 years by their gurantee and actual use is way less that that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:22:48 PM by imj » Logged
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is this???? « Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 06:07:22 AM » Author: Ash
I have seen modern ones (in modern fixtures - 2000 or later) in Israel, that look much like this one

Clear glass of 2 sizes - as "aura lights" in cafes etc. looks like appx 1M and 0.5M length

White glass pretty low wattage (30 / 40 W IIRC) sold brand new fixture + lamp in Home center

The color temperature in them is quite low, way lower than normal incandescent
Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
Re: What is this???? « Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 07:46:25 PM » Author: Zelandeth
Not sure about the single peg versions, but two peg versions are still pretty readily available in the UK.

Colour temperature in these is always pretty low on account of them all being vacuum incandescent rather than gas filled, so the filament temperature has to be kept pretty low. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies