Author Topic: Purpled out Household LED?  (Read 554 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Purpled out Household LED? « on: July 30, 2023, 01:00:27 PM » Author: Maxim
Hi,

I have 3X Feit Electric (cheap junk I know) Daylight A19s that have the “classic” incandescent look.

All three bulbs are currently flickering, though one is straight up turning purple. I had the fixture on yesterday- it was more white. I turned it on this morning for about an hour, and I find that it is a more noticeable, darker shade of the color.

Any ideas as to what may be going on? This is a filament lamp.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Purpled out Household LED? « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 03:24:07 PM » Author: HIDLad001
The flickering is probably being caused by dying LED chips or electronic driver. The reason they are turning purple is the phosphor failing and exposing the bare LED chips (which are blue to excite the phosphor and make it glow white).

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Purpled out Household LED? « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 11:09:34 PM » Author: Maxim
Well, as I was going to remove the faulty lamp, the glass removed itself from the base. I inhaled some of the fumes (smelled like aged vinegar with a slightly chemical scent? Is it toxic?

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Purpled out Household LED? « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 03:41:32 AM » Author: Richmond2000
I bought a 2 pack of Phillips (I believe) and dropped one before screwing it in and smashed the globe but NO damage to the LED COBS
and it has 6 COB strips - its mate has run constantly for 4 or so years now as there is NO switch for the socket it is in and ZERO blueing
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies