Author Topic: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023  (Read 1072 times)
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « on: August 01, 2023, 08:57:20 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
Today is the day! The US Government has banned the manufacture and sale of most major incandescent light bulbs including A19, BR30, and PAR30 bulbs as well as flame, globe, tubular, and a few other special shapes. For now, night lights, plant grow bulbs, appliance bulbs, heat lamps, black lights, colored bulbs, and Christmas lights are not banned, but knowing the US Government, the question is WHEN they'll be outlawed vs IF!... :sadbulb:
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 09:40:31 PM » Author: Maxim
I just learned that the following bulb styles are NOT being banned:

- Appliance lamps (such as refrigerator lights)

- Heat lamps, plant lights and bug lamps

- Colored lights and black lights

- Reflector lamps

- Chandelier bulbs, Christmas lights and decorative bulbs of 40 watts or less

- Globe bulbs and tubular bulbs

Plus this entire list: https://www.bulbs.com/learning/phaseoutexemptions.aspx

This is more or less a ban on the COMMON household bulb; the A19/A21, E26-based incandescent. There’s a ton of misinformation going around online.

I’m really quite surprised!

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 11:08:25 PM » Author: Patrick
There are still a number of exemptions, but that list is outdated.  Here's an excerpt from this document, which I believe is current.

General Service Incandescent Lamps (which must meet the 45 lm/W standard):
A standard incandescent or halogen type lamp that is intended for general
service applications; has a medium screw base; has a lumen range of not less than 310
lumens and not more than 2,600 lumens or, in the case of a modified spectrum lamp, not
less than 232 lumens and not more than 1,950 lumens; and is capable of being operated at
a voltage range at least partially within 110 and 130 volts; however, this definition does
not apply to the following incandescent lamps: an appliance lamp; a black light lamp; a
bug lamp; a colored lamp; a G shape lamp with a diameter of 5 inches or more as defined
in ANSI C79.1–2002; an infrared lamp; a left-hand thread lamp; a marine lamp; a marine
signal service lamp; a mine service lamp; a plant light lamp; an R20 short lamp; a sign
service lamp; a silver bowl lamp; a showcase lamp; and a traffic signal lamp.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 11:14:32 PM » Author: Maxim
Well, RIP BR30, candelabra, and PAR30…

My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 12:20:53 AM » Author: Patrick
GE introduced new 33W 300 lumen flame tip and globe lamps.  So there are a few new choices that remain exempt but are a bit brighter than the 25W options.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 11:48:16 AM » Author: HIDLad001
What they will probably do (they did this in Europe as well) to continue selling incandescent lamps, is they will market them as signalling bulbs for traffic lights, because it said in the document that bulbs for signalling and traffic signals are exempt, even if they meet all the criteria for general service lamps.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 12:38:25 PM » Author: Rommie
Ye gods will you lot stop worrying..! All that has been banned, as far as I can tell, is putting new incandescents onto the market. This means what it says, lamps that are already on retailers' shelves or in wholesalers' warehouses are already on the market and can continue to be sold until stocks are exhausted. This will take a long time, as most people don't want them any more.

I suppose a lot of the big retailers will dump their stocks, but small independents will still have lamps available for the foreseeable future. There certainly seem to be no end of them on eBay over here, anyway.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 05:41:44 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I agree !  I highly doubt any small retailer would just voluntarily discard stock they paid for with no recourse for getting their money back !

As for taking long to sell , my local Home Repo still has a decent amount of 150 & 200w incandescents on the shelf , all with a VERY thick coating of dust on them !! Honestly , I don't think they'll sell them all in the next 20 years !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 05:55:09 PM » Author: High Intensity
Ye gods will you lot stop worrying..! All that has been banned, as far as I can tell, is putting new incandescents onto the market. This means what it says, lamps that are already on retailers' shelves or in wholesalers' warehouses are already on the market and can continue to be sold until stocks are exhausted.

That last part is not true, and I can say that first hand, since the day after the ban went into effect, I was at my local Home Depot and decided to grab the last pack of incandescent bulbs there (out of principle more or less), but when I went to check out (using self check out), I was effectively told that I was not allowed to buy those lamps then and there, and rather, got to watch as an employee took them, presumably to dispose of them.

And while second-hand sales are (as far as I am aware) not prohibited, I wouldn't be surprised if some thrift stores stop accepting/selling such lamps just to "be on the safe side".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 06:22:54 PM by High Intensity » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 06:15:21 PM » Author: Rommie
Well that's crap. Don't they want to make money and sell their existing stock  ::)

It does sound typical of a big box store, but I doubt small independent retailers would dispose of valuable stock like that. Does the LAW there say that they HAVE to, or was it just their decision :wndr:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 06:18:07 PM by Rommie » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 06:17:03 PM » Author: Maxim
High Intensity,

I visited my local ReStore yesterday. There was an INFLUX of incandescent lamps; mainly Osram-Sylvanias and Philips. They don’t care, clearly.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 06:28:26 PM » Author: High Intensity
Pretty sure it's in the law that retailers can face fines around $532 per illegal bulb sold or something along those lines.

@obsessedstreetlight24: that's good to hear with your restore, though mine OTOH seems to have ditched all of their incandescent stock, as up until recently, they had a lot of incandescent and halogen flood lamps, but those were all gone as of recent.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 06:45:41 PM » Author: Rommie
Well that's crap/crazy or any other suitable word you care to think of. Even if they're already on the shelves, so in stock..? Who is going to compensate them for stock that can't be sold..? Here, retailers were allowed to sell what they still had in stock. I wouldn't be happy if I were a small business in that situation  :curse:

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 11:49:55 PM » Author: Richmond2000
in Canada 2024 Jan there is a BAN on Mercury lamps and that covers MANUFACTURE and IMPORT NOT sales of BUT 2 years later (I believe) there is a end of sales
but the USA BAN is on SALES OF LAMPS so in stock items are NOT illegal to sell I hope "used" stores are NOT covered and an amount of NOS lamps end up in the "used" market and NOT landfill but Home REPO and Bunnings will likely landfill them to be safe (legally)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: RIP Incandescent Lamps 1879-2023 « Reply #14 on: August 26, 2023, 08:12:05 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Just so you remember, the NON-HALOGEN A19 incandescent lamps in the USA designed for the 40W, 60W, 75W, and 100W ratings have already been banned in phases between 2012 and 2014. The 2023 ban affecting incandescent lamps in the USA mainly covers the halogen retrofit A19 lamps designed to replace the already-banned 40W, 60W, 75W, and 100W A19 incandescent lamps along with other incandescent lamps commonly used in household general lighting applications and decorative applications such as reflector lamps, globe shaped lamps, and candle lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies