Author Topic: interest  (Read 7065 times)
Raphael

View Posts
View Gallery

interest « on: November 26, 2006, 01:36:07 PM » Author: Raphael
Mine interest in (street)lighting started when I was.............
Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: interest « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 02:41:24 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
Around i was a boy of 3 years old.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: interest « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 03:49:41 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
always looked at streetlights, talked about "Broken lightbulbs" at age of 2.....

But I didn't really show it much or collected them until recently

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: interest « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 07:09:35 PM » Author: prawnman88
im with jayce
Raphael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: interest « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:21:24 PM » Author: Raphael
So far as I can remember I was 5.
Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: interest « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:24:13 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
The story about me was that my parents saw that i was following with my eyes the streetlights. They think: Sander find the lamps interesting but i did it also at day. And so they discover it found the lampposts very interesting not only the lamps.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: interest « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 04:25:10 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
for me is more of general lights......Mainly lightbulbs and streetlights.......but I like other lights too.......

I was walking in stores with those old F40T12 flickering (those days the F32T8 was very rare and I didn't really see much until around the early to mid 90s)  and I would see a flickering light and I would point the light in the store to my mom and say "Light broken, Daddy will fix it"   

I can remember that back then "daddy" kinda meant "man" to me LOL

I remember before this house in early 1988 in my old house we had the same fixtures as here but all were Mercury Vapors......this neighborhood has both....

I remember being excited in NYC with all those many different shape poles in the highway....esp. for those double pole single light.....

I also liked the bug light we had in our front door in the previous house.......that was in 1986-1988......we had 2 porch lights...one had the bug light...the other was normal lightbulb........aaaah memories!!!!!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: interest « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 05:09:59 PM » Author: don93s
About 6th grade...age 11. My dad started teaching me the basics of electricity and built me some low voltage power supplies to play with. Then I got a hold of a couple of small fluorescent lamps and that was all it took. Gas discharge and phosphors and high voltage became my quest!

Then of course, streetlights quickly caught my attention...in fact, all kinds of fixtures were fascinating for me...especially ones with some sort of ballast. I started installing fixtures all over our house. I got my first mercury vapor fixture in 7th or 8th grade and put that up on our house. That was the crowning achievement at the time! I even built a bug zapper with a 15w BL fluorescent and a 3000v 9ma transformer for the grid.

Of course, after finding L-G, I've learned things I would have never imagined!
dp
Re: interest « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 08:23:15 PM » Author: dp
I became interested in streetlights when I was about 10 years old. I got my first streetlight when I was 14 (that Cooper Lighting OVZ pictured in my photo album.)

I used to have:
(1) General Electric M-250R                        70 watt HPS
(1) 1964 Westinghouse OV-25                  400 watt MV
(1) Line Materials Unistyle 175                  175 watt MV
(1) Thomas & Betts 113 Series                  70 watt HPS
(1) General Electric M-250A Power Door    70 watt HPS
(1) American Electric 125 Series               400 watt HPS

dp
Re: interest « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:15:07 PM » Author: dp
my interest in streetlights started about the age of 13 or 14. I did remember when I was younger I looked up at them, mainly because of the history of that GEC Unknown lantern, which sadly doesn't exist anymore.
Powergroove

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: interest « Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 06:25:20 PM » Author: Powergroove
My intrest in lighting started as soon as I was able to plug one in. At 5 I dug a trench from the house to the shed in the back yard, burried two extension plugged together and hung a F15T8 Hahmony House fixture in the shed. It was a preheat switch start. I still have this fixture, but the harmony house lamp failed years ago.

Keep government out of the lighting industry.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: interest « Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 03:02:26 PM » Author: Silverliner
I have been noticing lights since around my 2nd birthday. I watched my mom change those broken light bulbs and also I had a Lite Brite with a 1970s GE 25 watt soft white inside. My mom bought mostly GE bulbs at that time and I remember those 1970s GEs with the blue glass insulated bases. I also noticed the cool white fluorescents in the stores at that time, well before rare earth fluorescents became remotely common. Even noticed the 100 watt A-23 mercs at a preschool I went to when I was 3. The classrooms had the 1970s indirect fluorescent lights suspended in midair on the ceiling. I THINK the fluorescents were Westinghouse because I thought I saw the black end caps. A couple daycare places I went to had the old 1950s schoolhouse incandescents which used 200 watt PS-30 lamps. My first experience with electrical work was when I was 5 or 6. I wired a bare lamp holder socket to a snap on replacement plug! The bulb was a GE 25w ceramic blue. Later on I eventually began to mess with fluorescent and HID lamps and so on. If you have a gift in electric work, use it!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: interest « Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 12:15:49 AM » Author: Semi-Comma
According to both of my parents, my first word was "light." Since I can remember I've been incredibly focused on (some would say obsessed with) lighting (of all types), but I never actually started to study it until I was around 13-ish (my memory's not that great), although I knew the basics of fluorescent lighting before that. From ages 3 to 5, I liked to mess around with small DC lamps and flashlights and make my own battery powered fixtures out of whatever I could. At age 6, I started "playing" with 120V incandescent lamps and making my own fixtures. From then on I continued to experiment with lamps, mostly incandescent, fluorescent, and those little NE-2 thingies used as indicators. When I was around 7 or 8, I started to fiddle with fluorescent lamps a lot, and I made my own bench ballast and starter box for running/testing lamps I didn't have fixtures for. I also had a small collection of different lamps.

I've always been a bit obsessed with odd-shaped lamps (mainly AT and BT) as well. Sometime when I was younger, the Philips Halogena lamps started getting stocked in a local store, and I actually begged my mom to buy me one when I saw them. Most kids wanted a goofy plastic toy they'd break in a week, I wanted the funny shaped "light bulbs."

I never studied or experimented with HID lighting until 2001-ish (really, my memory sucks), when I got some Iwasaki 100W blended mercury lamps. Since then I've used and experimented with many other blended mercury lamps, and have been absorbing as much information about HID lighting as possible. I didn't develope a serious interest in street lighting until more recently (within the last year), and still have a very limited knowledge thereof.
mr_big
Re: interest « Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 03:18:47 PM » Author: mr_big
My first word was also light and my parents always said that's what I would be into LOL ;D
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: interest « Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:56 PM » Author: prawnman88
i think were all good people my dad says good people like light and bad people don't so maybe in a way were all angels in training ? ::)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:05:53 PM by TudorWhiz » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies