Author Topic: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch  (Read 6005 times)
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:44 AM » Author: don93s
Wow, this looks scary! Link
magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:51 PM » Author: magslight
 :o
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:01:27 PM » Author: lite_lover
Cool,a nice view from up there!!

The brighter the better.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:49:34 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
This is simply cool!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

seansy59

View Posts
View Gallery

I am OPEN for Lighting talk!

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:50:05 PM » Author: seansy59
You would never find me up there!  :D

I HATE heights! I even hate looking out of a second story window  :o

Rapid Start and Preheat fluorescent! No instant start!

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:24:42 PM » Author: SeanB~1
I would take 2 of each when doing that trip, just in case I did a whoops and dropped it. I am not a fan of heights, but will do it. Even did a few jobs that involved a mobile crane, me hanging on a harness attached to the hook, with GI Joe driving it ( my instructor as an appy, looked just like the doll) and a pocket filled with rivets, a long air hose and a air drill and riveter, to do repairs and such on the hanger. That, and flying with the door open and with legs in the breeze.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:08 PM » Author: Ash
I would install few lamps in that thing, and wire them all down to a series of switches. Each time one burnes you flip the switches t use another one

And, if you relamp before the last one gets in use, there are some NOS vintages waiting inside
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:39 AM » Author: nogden
It sure does seem like you could build an obstruction light with redundant lamps so that changing lamps didn't have to happen so often!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 10:20:02 AM » Author: Medved
These lamps are replaced way before they actually are about to burn out, so they remain reliable even without the redundancy.
Moreover I would guess, then the gear responsible to switch to the backup lamp would exhibit way greater failure rate then the lamp itself, what would make the redundancy system rather counterproductive...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:41:21 PM » Author: Ash
It still would be very productive, since you can install the gear in much more accessible location
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 05:30:43 PM » Author: Lumex120
That is so scary... imagine a strong gust of wind happens, and you slip...
 :o :o :o

Unofficial LG Discord

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:22:37 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I would LITERALLY die! Does he have a safety harness or anything?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Changing a light bulb on top of the St. Louis Arch « Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:33:18 AM » Author: Medved
It still would be very productive, since you can install the gear in much more accessible location

But the wiring is part of the "gear" as well...
I guess the task of the guy is not only to replace the bulb, but to clean and mainly inspect the lantern and it's installation and maybe even the arch structure itself. The bulb replacement is just a "cherry on the cake"...
And because the most expensive part is the presence of that guy there and that would be necessary anyway (for the inspection), replacing the lamp cost nearly nothing...

Plus with a redundant stand-by bulb would be one problem: The optic would require completely separate lantern. And if that would not be powered regularly, the water may collect inside and destroy it that way. So it would have to be operated regularly as well...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies