Author Topic: Lighting in Catalunya, Spain  (Read 473 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Lighting in Catalunya, Spain « on: August 31, 2023, 09:45:36 AM » Author: Maxim
Hi all,

I just recently returned from my trip to Spain. Boy, I'll say it's beautiful. Beautiful sights, beautiful lights  8) !!

In Barcelona, it's probably 70% HPS, 20% LED, 5% Mercury Vapor, 5% Metal Halide (in tubular C-whatever lamp form; almost always double-sided like a 500W Halogen).

In Costa Brava, it's probably 35% HPS, 30% Mercury Vapor, 20% Metal Halide, 10% LED, 5% fluorescent. Tons of tubular MH here also, mainly lighting the more modern side streets. HPS and MV dominate the "Old Town" streets, LED dominates the street parallel to the beach, the most touristy area, as well as the "main street". Almost all post-top lamps are 175 or 400W MV, though there are some more "modern" fixtures that take 4ft fluorescent T8s, three HPS lamps, or three Metal Halide lamps.

Highways are very well lit. Almost entirely HPS, except a portion very close to Barcelona city, which has been converted to (mostly) reliable LEDs. They're definitely piloting different lamp types, as they have multiple installs of entirely different fixtures. There's probably only one type that is more than 10% failed; the rest light up nicely. Also, high mast fixtures are either lit by tubular Metal Halide or HPS. Highway HPS installs are meticulously maintained here.

In the subways, most of the corridors are lit by Feilo-Sylvania or Philips 4ft T8s, though there are some spot LED replacements. Most subway cars are still entirely fluorescent (L2, L4, and L5 cars), whilst L3 (my least favorite subway line, with older cars and no air conditioning) have been retrofitted with harsh 5000K tubes that flicker.

That's all for now; just wanted to give some insight to those who are curious. If I think of any more notable installs, I will definitely share them below this post.  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:47:39 AM by Maxim » Logged

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies