Author Topic: Who made the first LED streetlight?  (Read 2210 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 03:28:07 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I'd probably say Leotek comes first. RUUD Lighting/BetaLED comes in second. There was a Leotek SL-36W1R-FX in my town that's probably been there before 2007 because it still shows up on the 2007 street view here.

Leotek even made LED streetlights as early as 2004!

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #16 on: September 27, 2023, 03:34:52 PM » Author: James
This is as difficult to answer as to name the inventor of the electric lamp.  That title is usually given jointly to Joseph Swan and Thomas Edison, but in fact working electric lamps were made by dozens of other individuals many decades before them.  Edison & Swan only achieved fame because they were the first to produce a commercially viable electric lamp - one that was affordable, bright enough and with a long enough life to meet consumer requirements.

The same is true of LED streetlights.  There were experiments dating back to at least the 1970s but their light output was pathetic and the cost was huge.  It took another three decades before LED streetlights became both functional and affordable.

I believe the credit for the worlds’ first commercially viable LED streetlights goes to the Belgian company Schréder, which in 2007 made perhaps the first effective and large-scale installation at the city of Split in Croatia/Hrvatska.  Just prior to that in 2006, Cree demonstrated advanced prototypes of high power white LED streetlamps that had been made possible by the invention of their Xlamp 7090 emitters, but I don’t think those were sold.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 12:01:04 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting, although I would have guessed that 20 tonne thing Kev has got from DW Windsor?, with its “slow ramp up diodes” controlled by circuitry like something off the star ship Enterprise!  :lol:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

TLE

View Posts
View Gallery

Also known as TB79 on SABRE and UKASTLE.

thelightingenthusiast thelightingenthusiast
Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #18 on: October 12, 2023, 03:38:11 PM » Author: TLE
I don’t know, but the WRTL Stela was the first mainstream LED lantern to become popular in the UK.   

-  A lighting collector and photographer.

(TLE is an abbreviation for TheLightingEnthusiast)

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #19 on: October 23, 2023, 12:39:45 AM » Author: Richmond2000

The same is true of LED streetlights.  There were experiments dating back to at least the 1970s but their light output was pathetic and the cost was huge.  It took another three decades before LED streetlights became both functional and affordable.

I believe the credit for the worlds’ first commercially viable LED streetlights goes to the Belgian company Schréder, which in 2007 made perhaps the first effective and large-scale installation at the city of Split in Croatia/Hrvatska.  Just prior to that in 2006, Cree demonstrated advanced prototypes of high power white LED streetlamps that had been made possible by the invention of their Xlamp 7090 emitters, but I don’t think those were sold.
I remember my uncle a Electronics Engineer was excited reading in 1998 +/- about a BLUE LED with high enough efficiency / power output to "drive" phosphor coatings leading the way to a "proper white" LED
I believe CREE had retail white LED "engines" available commercially around 2000
I would "expect" the early LED street lights to show up around 02 - 04 window and Leotek has bean pointed out as 2004   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 01:38:25 AM by Richmond2000 » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies