Author Topic: how to connect pl-s to electronic ballast?  (Read 563 times)
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

how to connect pl-s to electronic ballast? « on: September 26, 2023, 05:14:47 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I have a philips 11-14w electronic ballast  with 4 wires. It says that it can use a pls 11w but doesn't tell how to wire it.
How do you wire a 2 pin lamp to a 4 pin ballast?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 06:28:53 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: how to connect pls to electronic ballast? « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 02:15:51 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
My guess is that it means the 4-pin version of PL-S lamps. Those don't have integrated starter.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: how to connect pls to electronic ballast? « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 07:13:15 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Yes, you will need to use the 4-pin version of the PL-S 11. It will say on the box of 2-pin lamps that you must use a magnetic ballast with them. The internal starter means they can't run on high frequency gear.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: how to connect pls to electronic ballast? « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 02:08:43 AM » Author: Medved
Although not formally rated, majority will work.
What you need is to identify exactly which pin on the ballast is which, namely which pin of the filament pairs (1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4) is the power connection and which goes to the resonant capacitor in the ballast.
You connect the lamp to the power ones. There are 4 possibilities (1-3, 2-3, 2-4, 1-4), one of them will work.

If none works, you have bad luck for either a ballast or lamp which do not work. I don't think there is any danger for the ballast nor the lamp, so it is just question if it will light or not.

If you open the ballast and take top and bottom photos of the board, there is high chance it should be possible to identify whether it will work or not and if so, the exact wiring.

No more selfballasted c***

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: how to connect pls to electronic ballast? « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 06:28:22 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I have found a philips branded (similar looking design too) 18w ballast that says to connect pin 2 and 4 for a 2 pin 18w pl-c.
Also, here 4 pin is called sh-9w instead of pl-s 9w, so that cannot be confused.
For now, I will try to use a magnetic ballast, but this would be more convenient.

245v 50Hz

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: how to connect pl-s to electronic ballast? « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 04:02:41 AM » Author: Medved
So it confirms it is the selfoscillating type, with a few components added to (most likely) provide the protection against lamp EOL behavior.

The PL-S should be connected to the termibals labeled as 2 and 4.

No more selfballasted c***

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: how to connect pl-s to electronic ballast? « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 04:16:15 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Thanks, it works!
The lamps 'ping!', even with this ballast.

245v 50Hz

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies