Author Topic: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal?  (Read 2043 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal? « Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 05:06:41 PM » Author: 108CAM
I'm not sure but I assume it does because the fixture it came from can be seen lit up in a 2022 Street View photo

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal? « Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 11:31:56 AM » Author: joseph_125
They used to make horizontal burning lamps with curved arc tubes.

Yup, I have a couple of these lamps but it seemed like in most cases people just used the standard universal burning MH lamps instead of keeping a separate sku for the wallpacks, shoeboxes, and cobraheads that had horizontal MH lamps. Plus it seems like the ceramic lamps were universal burn but maintained a decent life horizontally.

I never ran mine as they require a special lampholder to ensure correct orientation and I don't have one of those.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal? « Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 11:56:05 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For orientating a lamp in the correct position, we use a lab stand.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal? « Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 12:35:25 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Fortunately, I do have the correct position oriented E39 lampholder in one of my fixtures so that I can run horizontal burning metal halide lamps with curved arc tubes.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal? « Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 03:45:00 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Yup, I have a couple of these lamps but it seemed like in most cases people just used the standard universal burning MH lamps instead of keeping a separate sku for the wallpacks, shoeboxes, and cobraheads that had horizontal MH lamps. Plus it seems like the ceramic lamps were universal burn but maintained a decent life horizontally.

I never ran mine as they require a special lampholder to ensure correct orientation and I don't have one of those.

Are these "special" lampholders the position-oriented (POM) ones? I have quite a few.

One thing I've noticed about these (POM) lampholders is that they have a notch on one side and they are usually yellow.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why is the lifespan of metal halides reduced to half when burned horizontal? « Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 03:46:51 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The position oriented E39 lampholders certainly do have a notch in them and they are often yellow in color. I am a lucky owner of one of those lampholders.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies