Author Topic: Crimefighter Missouts  (Read 1211 times)
GE PM

View Posts
View Gallery

Ge Post Mount

Crimefighter Missouts « on: October 25, 2023, 02:55:27 PM » Author: GE PM
Has anyone seen GE Crimefighters that were not replaced during the conversion?

Collector of all things GE! Except for LEDs.
Utility Company: SCE

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 08:57:29 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I have seen various fixtures that were intentionally missed during the LED conversion in my area. Some GE m-250r2s were spared amongst the almost complete LED street. Dunno if they work though.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 11:24:15 PM » Author: Patrick
I was in Chicago back in August, and did encounter a block or two of the M-400 Crimefighters.  I'm not sure if they were missed, but they hadn't been changed to LED for whatever reason.  I had come across single miss outs in the past, but I think they generally get caught quickly given that they'll day burn.  Previously the circuits used group photocells and they're being changed over to individual smart controls when LED are installed.  You can also find an odd Crimefighter here or there lighting up a lot or something that isn't part of the main street lighting system.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 12:15:24 PM » Author: joseph_125
There are some of the older 175w MV units scattered in private properties in Canada. They were sold for a while here in Canada as surplus to private owners for yard lighting.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 12:39:04 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Yeah there is quite a lot of crimefighters still in service up here. I’d say they’re among the most common cobraheads in some places
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 12:12:29 AM » Author: Richmond2000
@joseph_125
PRincess sold them for like 20 years all across Canada and power/bracket style yard lights were all but handed out like candy and every farm has one or the other lighting there operation
GE PM

View Posts
View Gallery

Ge Post Mount

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 01:33:35 AM » Author: GE PM
Where were the crimefighers in Chicago?

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 10:09:50 PM » Author: Robotjulep
It seems like the 400w HPS Crimefighters are slowly disappearing from Chicago. The m400 Crimefighters probably would have worked excellent with probe start metal halide configurations as it is base up operation. The new L*Ds they are replacing the Crimefighters are some kind of GE Evolve. More like GE Devolve  :eoled: :ledtoilet:

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 10:26:19 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 The problem with probe start MH is the relativly short life coupled with rapid lumen depreciation . There were several MH streetlight applications around here , very few remain. .All of them SUCK for those exact reasons .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 10:34:13 PM » Author: Patrick
The Chicago "smart lighting" project that involved the replacement of HPS cobrahead and some but not all decorative HPS streetlights wrapped up at the end of 2021.  I don't remember exactly where the Crimefighters I saw were, though there's a stretch of HPS cobraheads on and around Lincoln Ave. that were still in service in 2022.  There's ongoing construction, so perhaps that delayed the LED installation.  Here at Ashland and Montrose and at Ashland & Byron are individual miss-outs.  As you can see they are lit due to them no longer being group controlled.

Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 10:50:16 PM » Author: joseph_125
CMH actually looks pretty decent in a Crimefighter. I ran a 150w Allstart on mine and it looks pretty nice in it.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 04:06:21 AM » Author: Richmond2000
@Patrick
so they day burn the missouts? or is it tied to the decorative "sidewalk" lamps across the street that appear to be HPS and also day burning
I know in Peg City they turn the light ON when construction is nearby for a 2 block stretch
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 09:38:34 PM » Author: Patrick
I'm not sure why these are lit during the day, but the new LED luminaires use individual PCs instead of a group control, so if any are missed they will be on all the time.  The city frequently disconnected the group controls before installing the LED lights, so it was not uncommon for the streetlights to be on for weeks prior to the change over.  That might be what's happening here, or there could be another explanation.

Lighting-Gallery.net

GE PM

View Posts
View Gallery

Ge Post Mount

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 11:21:55 AM » Author: GE PM
at Addison and Ashland to Southport and Irving park the whole area is more than 50% GE Cosmo White M-250A2 Crimefighters.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Crimefighter Missouts « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 10:04:18 PM » Author: Maxim
I'm not sure why these are lit during the day, but the new LED luminaires use individual PCs instead of a group control, so if any are missed they will be on all the time.  The city frequently disconnected the group controls before installing the LED lights, so it was not uncommon for the streetlights to be on for weeks prior to the change over.  That might be what's happening here, or there could be another explanation.
I find that group controls are much more effective than individual photocells. Much lower probably of dayburning, and if one does wind up going bad, you can quite easily identify the point of failure... just a thought.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies