Author Topic: Jasper Johns Bronze Light Bulb  (Read 673 times)
mycall2758

View Posts
View Gallery

Jasper Johns Bronze Light Bulb « on: November 14, 2023, 06:22:06 AM » Author: mycall2758
Hi
I'll try to keep this short

In the 1960's artist Jasper Johns produced a series of cold painted bronze sculptures (Beer Cans on attached). One of these was a series of 4 of a lightbulb amongst many other works on the same theme.
I am trying to identify the 100 watt bulb he used to cast from. These works are in private collections and the only photo I can find with the markings is attached. All the other painted bronzes were a complete copy of the cast item.
I can make out what appears to be a logo on the picture (attached). As far as I can tell it's not one of the usual suspects Westinghouse, Edison etc. etc. Does anybody recognise the logo....I searched through loads of references on archieve.org. Thumbed through 100's of google pics all to no avail.

Thanks for reading

michael
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Jasper Johns Bronze Light Bulb « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 01:17:43 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 The etch kinda looks like older GE .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

mycall2758

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Jasper Johns Bronze Light Bulb « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 06:31:08 AM » Author: mycall2758
hi

Thanks wide ....now you come to mention it with a bit of rotation I can see the 'G' in general and the 'R I C' allowing for 'what would be painted by hand' I think you are right

Does anyone know what looks like an 'S' or a 5 is............. it can't be 1005 Watts
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies