Author Topic: Moonlight towers  (Read 1784 times)
GE PM

View Posts
View Gallery

Ge Post Mount

Moonlight towers « on: November 27, 2023, 02:37:13 PM » Author: GE PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiXNsWQzD0

Collector of all things GE! Except for LEDs.
Utility Company: SCE

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 02:51:08 PM » Author: Rommie
Interesting. But they're not "historic artifacts" any more, not with LED in them. "Historic" doesn't mean LED; carbon arc isn't practical any more, I get that, but they could at least have kept them MV  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 06:23:41 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Eventually, due to widespread bans and discontinuations of traditional non-LED light sources, it will eventually become impractical to use anything other than LED for general lighting since there will come a point where traditional non-LED light sources become too “rare” and “historically significant” to use every day like you see with carbon arc lamps because their numbers will eventually be far too small to be able to maintain an adequate supply of lamps that can be replaced.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 06:25:43 PM » Author: HIDLad001
LED is just another lighting technology. People probably felt the same when it was converted to MV. It does look really good in 3000K though, much better than the harsh cold light that the MV lamps (and previous carbon arc lamps produced).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 06:28:18 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 06:32:58 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
L*D may well be 'just another lighting technology', but we feel that it's the Japanese knotweed of lighting and is slowly choking everything else to death.  :curse:
That is the reason we dislike them so much, slowly but surely we are being deprived of other choices in lighting.  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 06:34:16 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Once again, the same could be said about "S*X" when it replaced mercury streetlights in the 1960s and 1970s.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 06:38:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Eventually, sellers on eBay will want extremely high prices for anything that is NOT LED due to the increasing rarity of NON-LED sources like someone may want somewhere around $500 for just a single mercury vapor lamp, a high pressure sodium lamp, or a single metal halide lamp because of how rare they will eventually become in the near future and it will also seem like our ‘wanted’ section will be filled with requests to find any NON-LED sources such as “Wanted: fluorescent tubes”, “Wanted: high pressure sodium lamps”, “Wanted: mercury vapor lamps”, etc.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 07:10:58 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
LED is just another lighting technology. People probably felt the same when it was converted to MV. It does look really good in 3000K though, much better than the harsh cold light that the MV lamps (and previous carbon arc lamps produced).
I agree 100%.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 10:44:41 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 @ Mandolin Girl : EEEEK ! Japanese Knotweed !!! I have a small jungle of it in my side yard !! NOTHING kills it !! I actually poured some Muriatic acid on some near my driveway and it went all brown and shriveled  :DeAtH: . 2 weeks later , it was back like nothing ever happened !!!  :poof:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 07:57:55 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting idea, but unusual choice of lamp colour?, for true moonlight effect as carbon arc would have been, daylight white LED would surly be a closer effect to the original ones?
Although I can understand from an environmental point of view why they didn’t used them?, but its what I would have specified for that true moonlight effect?  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 08:12:40 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I get what you’re saying here, but I wouldn’t call LED ‘just another lighting technology’?, I see it as more as THE lighting technology that has superseded everything else!
Although this will be an unpopular opinion, the fact is it’s a massive step forward, (in efficiency, simplicity and brightness), than its HID counterparts?
To be fair, it’s only lighting enthusiasts that miss the old lighting tech, but from a scientific point of view of artificial light, older lighting techs are just not needed anymore!

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 09:00:02 AM » Author: Rommie
I know I go on about it, but the objections we have here are simply due to a lack of choice.

When LED lamps first became available, we used them, but when they introduced all the bans and said effectively "You WILL use LED" whether we wanted to or not, that was the tipping point. Domestically, we're still able to use other lamps, as we already had enough in stock, but we didn't have a choice when it came to street lighting, they just unceremoniously ripped out entire streets of perfectly working HPS/MH and replaced them wholesale with pathetic fixtures which don't light up the area nearly as well. A step forward in brightness..? Not around here, it isn't..!

There is a step outside our block that was very well illuminated by the 70W HPS post top that used to be there. It got replaced by an LED so useless that it only illuminates a small patch at the base of the column, the step is now in complete darkness at night; imagine coming home after a night out and tripping up the step, or going out and falling down it, possibly resulting in quite a nasty injury.

Sorry if I'm boring anybody.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 09:08:19 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Mandolin Girl : EEEEK ! Japanese Knotweed !!! I have a small jungle of it in my side yard !! NOTHING kills it !! I actually poured some Muriatic acid on some near my driveway and it went all brown and shriveled  :DeAtH: . 2 weeks later , it was back like nothing ever happened !!!  :poof:
You might want to try some of this on it.!!! :DeAtH:  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 09:51:02 AM » Author: HIDLad001
LED replacements have also enabled me to acquire HID and fluorescent fixtures I could  only dream about getting. You won’t believe the good trash finds I have gotten recently!
I want to try and design my own SOX LED replacements that actually produce satisfactory light and actually saves energy (no ballast losses) The light would have low glare, monochromatic (narrowband) amber/yellow or red light, and sensibly driven LEDs and adequate heatsinking (and maybe using the red LEDs to recreate a SOX warmup??)
Imagine that, a lighting collector designing an LED lighting system…
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 09:53:57 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 10:39:37 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I know I go on about it, but the objections we have here are simply due to a lack of choice.

When LED lamps first became available, we used them, but when they introduced all the bans and said effectively "You WILL use LED" whether we wanted to or not, that was the tipping point. Domestically, we're still able to use other lamps, as we already had enough in stock, but we didn't have a choice when it came to street lighting, they just unceremoniously ripped out entire streets of perfectly working HPS/MH and replaced them wholesale with pathetic fixtures which don't light up the area nearly as well. A step forward in brightness..? Not around here, it isn't..!

There is a step outside our block that was very well illuminated by the 70W HPS post top that used to be there. It got replaced by an LED so useless that it only illuminates a small patch at the base of the column, the step is now in complete darkness at night; imagine coming home after a night out and tripping up the step, or going out and falling down it, possibly resulting in quite a nasty injury.

Sorry if I'm boring anybody.
Not at all boring  ;), but this lack of choice is coming from a lighting enthusiast!, Mr and Mrs Joe Public don’t give this a second thought when they turn the lights on at night.
Also I’m sure the term ‘lamp bans’ only came from LG!, I think the lighting industry an EU was calling them phase outs?
I’m still using electronic CFL everywhere in the house, but I’m not unhappy their not made anymore as their efficiency was improved with LED so CFL is no longer needed? but if I still have them then I’m going to use them from an enthusiasts point of view.
Today, and it’s still taken 10 years or so, LED can do everything older tech could, i.e, be successfully dimmed, provide different CCTs for different moods, power large spaces outside cheaper and more instantly than discharge did, and light the streets as good as older techs did, ( providing decent fittings have been used of course )!

Older tech is disappearing fast not because of tyrannical bans, but simply because none of it is needed anymore in the general population?

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies