Author Topic: Westinghouse OV-25 Glass styles  (Read 4897 times)
NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Westinghouse OV-25 Glass styles « on: December 03, 2006, 04:42:06 PM » Author: NiMo
If you own different Westinghouse (yeah Ripper444, I'm referring to you also) OV-25 luminaires from different eras take a close look at the refractor patterns in the glass.  The original flat-bottom (1st generation) OV-25's pattern had straight striations along the sides.  Whereas the 2nd generation OV-25 had three different refractor patterns as the Luminaire evolved.  I believe the "transitional" lume (the one with the p-cell in the same position as the flat-bottom) used the same glass as the F-B.  Not long after, Westinghouse likely went to the shallow glass refractor before going back to the familiar trapezoidial shape.  This time, with the new logo just above a second circle.  Now the glass pattern had straight striations that jutted upward.  And finally, to the familiar zig-zag pattern that is still in use today on the Cooper lumes.  Thoughts?

Group Replacement, Baby

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Westinghouse OV-25 Glass styles « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:30:07 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
This is really interesting by the way....I will check out what my Tudor has........

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

ripper444
Re: Westinghouse OV-25 Glass styles « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:19 AM » Author: ripper444
If you own different Westinghouse (yeah Ripper444, I'm referring to you also) OV-25 luminaires from different eras take a close look at the refractor patterns in the glass.  The original flat-bottom (1st generation) OV-25's pattern had straight striations along the sides.  Whereas the 2nd generation OV-25 had three different refractor patterns as the Luminaire evolved.  I believe the "transitional" lume (the one with the p-cell in the same position as the flat-bottom) used the same glass as the F-B.  Not long after, Westinghouse likely went to the shallow glass refractor before going back to the familiar trapezoidial shape.  This time, with the new logo just above a second circle.  Now the glass pattern had straight striations that jutted upward.  And finally, to the familiar zig-zag pattern that is still in use today on the Cooper lumes.  Thoughts?

I couldn't really tell you which era of glass goes with which era of fixtures, but I will take some pics of mine soon and at least demonstrate some of the differences. My glass is all mixed with different fixtures, I probably have Cooper glass on old OV-25s. I've used parts from other lights to make working units. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies