Author Topic: Fluorescent lamp with 4wire push switch  (Read 416 times)
CJR

View Posts
View Gallery

Fluorescent lamp with 4wire push switch « on: February 08, 2024, 08:03:35 PM » Author: CJR
I am trying to replace a switch in an antique fluorescent lamp. It is for my mother, and she has a hard time with the push switch. I hope to find a toggle switch that would work in place of it, and have been unable to find what I think would work. Is it possible to do what I want, or do I need to go back to the push switch? Any help would be appreciated.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamp with 4wire push switch « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 04:02:31 PM » Author: sol
By a 4 wire lamp switch, I gather you mean that you need to push the button and hold it until the ends of the lamp glow, and then the lamp strikes when you release. You then push again briefly to switch off. If somehow, the lamp misfires, you need to "reset" the switch by pushing twice to retry.

If so, you can replace it with either two momentary switches, one normally open for the starter loop, and one normally closed for the lamp (off button). Another way, is to wire an on/off switch such as a toggle switch to switch the circuit on and off, and wire in a fluorescent starter in the starter loop. As such, the lamp will flash a couple of times when the toggle switch is turned on, and will switch off when it is turned off. This would be the easiest to operate. Bear in mind, however, that any such modification will likely require some remodelling of the fixture, and some designs are easier to modify than others.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies