Author Topic: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye?  (Read 449 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « on: April 14, 2024, 01:55:36 PM » Author: Maxim
Was just wondering if there is any "cost-friendly" way of avoiding eye damage when firing up high-power lamps. I don't have nor do I plan to buy a welding mask, so I wanted to ask if you guys use any specific techniques to be able to look at your lamps without blinding yourselves. I currently use a pair of very dark sunglasses, but I still avoid direct eye exposure.

Any ideas? Thanks.  8;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 02:04:10 PM by Maxim » Logged

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 02:01:35 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Hiya, we use these, I'm sure that there is a similar vendor over on your side of the pond.  :wndr: 8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 02:04:44 PM » Author: Maxim
Thanks, I'll look into it.  8)

My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 02:08:46 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
No probs, glad that I could help, you can always buy another set of the dark lenses to replace the clear ones and make them really dark.!! 8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 03:46:50 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Technically you shouldn’t get arc eye unless you’re viewing something like a Philips Arenavision lamp directly?
I just used two pairs of sunglasses on top of one another back in the day, this way you could still see the colour of halide arcs without looking through green welding kit.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 04:34:04 PM » Author: RRK
I use the same ND1000 filter that I use to make lamp photos. Gives high quality true to life color image. Cheap options - a glass from welder's helmet. Extremely cheap at hardware store, but distorts color to green-yellow. Other options? Solar eclipse glasses? Sure not needed for its intended purpose any more for a lot of time ;)
Multisubject

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 04:36:37 PM » Author: Multisubject
If you have solar eclipse glasses you can get a really close look at the shape of the arc, but you can't really see anything else around you. 8)
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 01:52:34 PM » Author: RRK
Eclipse glasses are said to pass 0.00032 parts of light, that's 1:3125. About 3x stronger than ND1000. I can look at all my MH arcs with ND1000, but some, like small 150W ones are a bit 'too much'. So 1:3125 might be slightly better.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 02:26:55 PM » Author: Maxim
I actually got eclipse glasses for last week's eclipse. It's certainly bizarre when all you see in your peripheral vision (say, on your shirt) is blinding light, while all you see through the eclipse glasses is one concentrated point. (I tested on a 100WH lamp yesterday.)

Thank you for the suggestions!  ;D 8)

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 03:47:27 PM » Author: marcopete87
I don't have nor do I plan to buy a welding mask

You should, you can buy only welding glass replacement (it's cheaper).
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 06:21:21 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have a #9 shade welding glass that I use. It's was intended as a replacement glass for a welding helmet, so it wasn't too expensive.
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 06:51:02 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Can you get arc eye from looking at coated/diffuse HID lamps?

Or is it mainly just the clear ones?

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 07:53:55 PM » Author: Maxim
Who knows. I'm no arc eye expert, but my eyes hurt from looking at any concentrated light source for too long.

Though coated MV is probably the easiest to look at. Even clear isn't half bad. It's metal halide and HPS that annihilate my eyed.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 12:46:35 AM » Author: RRK
It is just not wise to look at bright light sources for prolonged time because the eyes are sure not replaceable ;)

There are enough idiots in the world who damaged their retina by looking at the sun, and many HID lamps arcs are at about the same brightness.

It is not arc eye, as was said before. Until you are messing with germicidal or not UV-blocked pure quartz lamps, or arcs in the air, there is not much UV to cause this.

Arc eye hurts on the surface of the eyes (and skin) and is generally recoverable, at least if not extreme doses. But retina burns from lasers and sun are permanent.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:18:12 AM by RRK » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Any way to look at HID lamps without getting arc eye? « Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 01:39:48 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Correct, better known as erythemal radiation, but as I understand it, you won’t get erythemal radiation exposure from viewing a clear mercury lamp as most of this radiation is filtered out by the outer jacket?, its only the bare arc tube itself that can harm skin and eyes.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies