Author Topic: Christmas light ballast question  (Read 2369 times)
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Christmas light ballast question « on: September 02, 2010, 12:40:38 AM » Author: RCM442
How would I wire up a christmas light ballast, would it be wired up like a regular 2 wire preheat choke?

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:03 AM » Author: Luminaire
How would I wire up a christmas light ballast, would it be wired up like a regular 2 wire preheat choke?
Yes, in series. That's actually how GE Britesticks are wired. The resistor spreads the heat over the back plate driving F20T12 with a starter.  The input power is 33W with 60/40 power allocation, so it was not very efficient. 

The big limitation is that the OCV is limited to line voltage, so you can only start lamps that can start with 120v line voltage after pre-heat.
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:09:01 AM » Author: RCM442
I have a 100 set with no connector on one end, would I wire that like the preheat choke? BTW I'm manually preheating it

Administrator #4

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:13:30 PM » Author: Medved
Yes...

No more selfballasted c***

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:45:09 PM » Author: Luminaire
Also, you can use a regular light bulb, or a small heating element, like crankcase heater from an air conditioner.
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:38:56 PM » Author: RCM442
Can anyone put up maybe a simple wiring diagram? I can't seem to figure the thing out!

Administrator #4

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:01:23 PM » Author: rjluna2
The hot black wire goes to one NEMA plug of the christmas light string.  The other NEMA plug wire goes to one pin of the fluorescent light.  the other pin from the same end goes to starter/manual switch.  The starter/manual switch wire goes to the opposite end pin.  The other pin at the same end goes to neutral white.

Does that help?

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:10 PM » Author: RCM442
Yep, sure does! thanks! I was able to light this lamp with a broken cathode with a standard preheat, by shorting the bad end, would that work for this too?

Administrator #4

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Christmas light ballast question « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:44:06 PM » Author: DieselNut
I rigged my setup using a cheesie LOA F15 fixture.  I simply disconnected the ballast from the lampholder and power, then moved the power wire that fed the ballast directly into the lampholder.  I then cut the hot wire of an extension cord and seriesed it with the light.  Anything I plug into the cord's receptacle is a "ballast".  I have used a fan, a squirrel cage blower, Christmas lights, C7 twinkle Christmas lights, LED Christmas lights(it takes a LOT of these!), an incandescent 40 watt light bulb, and have tried several other things like a radio and another fluorescent light fixture, but it does not work well.
40 watts of power seems to drive the F15 perfectly.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies