Author Topic: Karma  (Read 4793 times)
Mercury Man

View Gallery

Karma « on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:07 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed that certain members are abusing the applaud/smite capability in board posts.  There are certain members in particular that I'm thinking of, however, I'd be remiss if I didn't announce to the entire membership that I am aware that this is happening.  Although the admins don't know who applauds or smites a member, I have my suspicions as to who is abusing this privilege.

Just because a member may PERSONALLY dislike another member does NOT mean that it is fair or appropriate to systematically smite him or her over and over again. 

If a member has a problem with another member, then it should be reported to the admins, who possess the power to address it in an appropriate fashion.  Embarrassing another member by continuously smiting him or her arbitrarily due to a personal conviction is not only unfair, but childish.

If this behavior of systematic smiting continues, I will ask Patrick to enable a way for me to track who is doing it, and I will address the issue accordingly.

Thank you.
Brian
DieselNut

View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Karma « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:03:39 PM » Author: DieselNut
I love this website and (...) it is addictive, but I have no clue about the applaud, smite, karma or stars aspect of it.  I have never used any of that.  If I love a photo or post by someone, I just tell them.  If not, or if it is of no interest to me, I generally just don't say anything.  Something I do not find interesting may be very interesting to someone else.
When I first found and joined yall on this site, I never knew there were other people so crazy about fluorescent lights.  I collected the things because I have always loved them.  I was surprised how many people share this "strange" love and how many have a similar love for street lights, incandescent lights, Christmas lights and various other lighting related items.  It is a lot of fun and I am thankful for this place where we can share this crazy love.  I have "met" some great folks on here and find that everyone is interesting in their own way.  Let's keep it peaceful and fun.  Something you may have no interest in, someone else may love.  (...), I had no interest in anything much other than fluorescent lighting before joining LG and now catch myself looking at street lights when I go to town!  LOL  Yall have also broadened my interest in fluorescents and encouraged me to save/rescue even more, which I WILL share with fellow interested members.  Keep it friendly and lets share our love for lighting!   Heck, we all share that common interest here!  Grin

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Roi_hartmann

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:34:05 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
This whole karma system, is there any need for it, is it really necessary?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:48 PM » Author: Mercury Man
I think in our next administrator's meeting I will bring up the topic of karma, and whether or not it's a necessary aspect of our forum.

It is rare that members are troublesome here.  I think us lighting enthusiasts on the whole are a very gentle group of people.  

I will follow up with the outcome of this after speaking with Dave and Patrick.   Smiley

Thank you.
Brian
Foxtronix

View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Karma « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:54:30 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Well, I personally think karma isn't really necessary in small-sized forums. We get to know most of the active members, so moderation stays feasible without any automatic report/karma system, if there ever comes a problem. The need of such system applies mostly to bigger forums with thousands of member and more.

On Gallery of Lights we don't use karma, and never did from day one if I'm right.

Here I am not against karma nor for it. In my opinion it doesn't seem necessary.

Just my two cents Grin

Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:11:24 AM » Author: Mercury Man
Thanks, Vince.  I did notice you guys don't have Karma over on GoL.  It's sort of an antiquated aspect of L-G at this point, in my opinion.  Perhaps we should abolish it.  Who agrees?
Roi_hartmann

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:59:46 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I agree, I dont see any point in such system either.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

DieselNut

View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Karma « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:33 PM » Author: DieselNut
I agree.  Personally I have never used it or the "star" stuff.  I simply comment in the thread below the photo or discussion topic.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Medved

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:45:35 PM » Author: Medved
Agree, same as DeselNut: Instead of star stuff i used direct comment...

No more selfballasted c***

don93s

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:55:11 PM » Author: don93s
The karma thingy doesn't make a difference to me....I trust we all know who we are and if any of us have an issue, it will be resolved nicely via other members or mods. We are bonded here on this site by an interest far more unique than, say, football or astronomy, though we may embrace either as well. But having an interest like this makes for one of a kind friendships and collaboration. So, party on!
Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: Karma « Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:41:40 PM » Author: Mercury Man
All,

Patrick, Dave, and I are all in agreement that the "Karma" function here on the site is unnecessary. Therefore, Patrick will be disabling it.

Of course, any comment made by a member can be flagged to an administrator for review if necessary.  While this rarely happens, the functionality is there in the event that a comment does need to be reported.  I suspect that going forward this will be a rarity, as we all are very friendly with one another.

Thanks, everyone. 

Brian

Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines