Author Topic: Difference between brightness of an InGaN LED die on sapphire and on silicon  (Read 2057 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Difference between brightness of an InGaN LED die on sapphire and on silicon « on: October 27, 2010, 05:28:38 AM » Author: dor123
An InGaN LED semiconductor on a silicon substratum is cheaper then the same semiconductor on a sapphire substratum.
However are InGaN LEDs with a silicon substratum have a higher brightness then the same LEDs with a sapphire substratum?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between brightness of an InGaN LED die on sapphire and on silicon « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:42:12 AM » Author: Medved
My guess: If the active diode structure is the same (composition, size), it would be the same brightness.
What would be different are thermal properties, what are mainly related to the substrate (as it is the biggest amount of material in the complete die). What is important there is thermal conductivity of the substrate, gives the Rth(Junction-Case) and it's thermal expansion compare the expansion of the main LED material (may limit the operating temperature due to mechanical stress).
So what may be different is the power dissipation handling capability.

But it does not have to mean, then the more expensive LED uses the material with better property. As with the better material the die may be more loaded (per unity area), it may be smaller for the same rating and (in case the die cost is dominant) the smaller die would result into cheaper product. But in such case the smaller die would yield less light for the same current, simply because of higher unity load of the junction (LED's reduce their efficacy at higher load - all mechanisms are not known yet, but it was found, then the temperature is not the dominant one here)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies