Author Topic: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL  (Read 4384 times)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:03 PM » Author: DieselNut
Hello fellow members.  I have several dozen NIB 2 pin CFL 26 watt lamps.  I have seen screw in base ballast "adapters" for these, so they can be used in light sockets.  I would love to get about 6 of them.  Have any of you seen them or know where I can find them?  I have done searches and have found nothing.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:25:40 PM » Author: DaveMan
Hey John. I know it's not the same thing but I saw a lot of 14 ballasts for 2 pin 28 watt PL-L lamps which I think might be pretty close to the same thing that they might run them. I'm pretty sure they're preheat judging by how the ballasts look. However, it's also mad expensive given that it's a lot of 14. Maybe you could ask the seller if they could sell some individually. Here's the link.

Unrelated, I've also seen a listing for a preheat ballast for an 18 watt 2 pin CFL, which probably uses an autotransformer judging by its size. I don't know if it has enough power to start one of your 26 watt PL lamps but if it does the lamp will most likely be underdriven by a lot. Just in case the offer is tempting anyway, here's the link.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:28:00 PM » Author: DaveMan
Update, I think I found a ballast for 26 watt PL-L lamps. Again, it's not a screw-in adapter but it's closer than the previous two links I posted. Here it is. It's an Advance.

David L.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:23:31 PM » Author: nogden
John, did you see my reply to an earlier thread where I posted this link? The listing says 22-28 watt, but I can't tell for sure if that's correct. Its worth a try! If you want, I'll buy one and see what it really is. If it is rated for 26 watt tubes, can you send me one or two 26 watt tubes in exchange for those Vemco starters I sent you a while back?
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:05:47 PM » Author: DieselNut
@Daveman, that is a lot of ballasts!  They may work, but what I am actually looking for is more like what Nogden posted.  I may look into some of the ones you linked to in your second post though!  The lamps I have use the GX23-3 base (I believe from memory)
@nogden, sure!  Please let me know if the fitting works for a 26 watt lamp and I will send you some and order several of the fittings! It looks like exactly what I am looking for!  There is one here that I have been "watching" for a while, but it has a different base and ain't cheap!  Looks mighty big too!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170238591144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:18:42 PM » Author: nogden
I just bought one. I'll let you know what comes in!
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:16:01 AM » Author: DieselNut
Please PM me when you get it and let me know how it works!  I will send you a couple lamps for it and order some of these for myself if you are happy with its performance.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:33 PM » Author: don93s
John, have you contacted P&M lighting? It's been a while since I've been there, but they used to have an assortment of used screw in ballasts for PLL lamps and I know you've bought from them before.
DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:19:45 PM » Author: DaveMan
I think I've seen a screw in PL adapter that could do multiple wattages and had multiple pin hole configurations and you could even plug the 2 pin preheat ones in them, but they had an electronic ballast. Somehow though the starter still kicked in when the lamp started. I think most of the 26 watt screw in PL adapters were big and made of metal since those lamps need a ballast with an autotransformer to provide a sufficient arc voltage. I'm not sure on that though.

David L.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:11:38 PM » Author: DieselNut
John, have you contacted P&M lighting? It's been a while since I've been there, but they used to have an assortment of used screw in ballasts for PLL lamps and I know you've bought from them before.
@don93s, I will be contacting them soon.  Unfortunately, I have been out on jobsites from sunup to sundown the last few days.  I want to get the F20/RED lamps from them and will ask then.  Thanks for the info!  I want to put these 26 watt lamps to use.  The 13 watt ones are not bright enough in some applications.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:28:49 PM » Author: nogden
John, no luck here. The adapter I ordered is for 28 watt tubes only. It appears to require a GX32d-3 base, and I don't believe a 26 watt tube will fit.

Interestingly enough, the case is designed to accept either a 22 or 28 watt lamp. There is a breakout tab that the manufacturer breaks out to "key" the adapter for the correct lamp. Therefore it seems like 22 and 28 watt lamps are similar, yet 26 watt tubes seem to be entirely different. I don't quite understand it! The only thing I can think is that the 22 and 28 watt tubes seem to be a larger diameter than the 5/7/9/13/26 watt tubes. Being a different diameter might change the electrical properties sufficiently that a 26 watt tube requires vastly different voltage and current than 22 and 28 watt lamps. Any ideas?
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Looking for screw in base ballast adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFL « Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 01:11:59 AM » Author: DieselNut
I have no clue! I know Farmtek used to sell a screw in adapter for 26 watt 2 pin CFLs, so I know one has been produced... now, just finding out WHERE one is located is gonna be the trick! The one I posted the link to probably has the same base as the one you just got. I really want to find the right one to run the 26 watt lamps. They would be perfect in my table lamps in plave of those junky spiral things.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies