Author Topic: F4T5 filament heating voltage  (Read 123 times)
Emersyn
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

F4T5 filament heating voltage « on: October 01, 2026, 09:55:57 PM » Author: Emersyn
Me and my friend are designing a USB powered F4T5 programmed start driver, if anyone could provide me with the filament heating voltage for one that would be great!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2026, 11:11:24 PM by Emersyn » Logged
Multisubject
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"The only stupid question is the one left unasked"


WWW
Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2026, 12:40:12 PM » Author: Multisubject
Darn I have an F4T5 tube+ballast but it's at home so I can't measure right now. I would assume it's the same 8 or whatever volts that most preheats are but I have no idea, wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot lower.

I am not sure if this full voltage is used in program start ballasts, I don't know enough about them. Next time I am home I will measure for you if nobody has the answer by then.
Logged

Public Lamp Spec Sheet | More Info

stillaintjeff24
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2026, 07:34:07 PM » Author: stillaintjeff24
To be safe I would assume no more than 6 to 9 volts. It wouldn’t take much, anytime I’ve messed around with lamps if I do more than 10 I’ve blown filaments before.
Logged
Multisubject
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"The only stupid question is the one left unasked"


WWW
Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2026, 07:36:52 PM » Author: Multisubject
Yeah often when you get above a certain voltage an arc will strike across the tungsten filament. Not a problem with a current limited supply like a preheat choke, but depending on your circuit it could be essentially an unballasted arc. Needless to say the lamp doesn't like that lol.
Logged

Public Lamp Spec Sheet | More Info

stillaintjeff24
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2026, 07:39:39 PM » Author: stillaintjeff24
Also pretty cool they are designing usb ballast. If I had the smarts or money and time I would try to manufacture some of my own branded ballasts and fixtures. (Properly, not cheaply)
Logged
LightBulbFun
Administrator
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


WWW
Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2026, 10:43:29 PM » Author: LightBulbFun
Me and my friend are designing a USB powered F4T5 programmed start ballast, if anyone could provide me with the filament heating voltage for one that would be great!

to answer the direct question asked, for an ANSI specification 4W T5 the cathode heating voltage is nominally about 8V, you can read more about the exact details and allowable ranges/tolerances in the C78.81 standard for fluorescent tubes

https://www.nema.org/docs/default-source/about-us-document-library/ansi-c78.81-2016-(r2022)_aspublished.pdf


but are you looking to design a program start that preheats the cathodes for a fixed amount of time and then fires the tube or a continuously heated cathode rapid start ballast?


different design criteria exist with regards to cathode heating voltage/currents so the distinction is fairly important


for a program start ballast you will want to implement a fixed constant-current based preheating method rather than a fixed constant voltage method

Logged

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster (formerly Bulb Freak)

Emersyn
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2026, 11:11:16 PM » Author: Emersyn
@LightBulbFun I was thinking it heats them constantly, but also fires the tube after a specific amount of time. Due to USB current limits (and there will be three F4T5s running), they will have to be underdriven a bit.

Thank yall for the help! Hopefully this can help my friend come up with like what the driver needs
Logged
stillaintjeff24
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


Re: F4T5 filament heating voltage « Reply #7 on: Today at 12:21:09 AM » Author: stillaintjeff24
Good luck! If you guys are able to get it working or somewhere give me some more details, maybe I could try and make some of my own wattages or units. Not the best at designing but I love soldering.
Logged
Print 
© 2005-2026 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies