Author Topic: Question about my Osram Duluxstar 8W/827  (Read 1592 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Question about my Osram Duluxstar 8W/827 « on: May 02, 2011, 08:40:45 AM » Author: dor123
This lamp don't lights at the moment that the power applied to it, but there is a delay of a sec or less (Without electrodes glowing), then a thermionic discharge, guardually but fastly appears at the electrodes and then the lamp ignite. This is more typical of a warm starting, and this lasts about 1 1/5 secs max.
However i recently discovered that as my lamp finally ignite and lit, a blue glow commonly appears on the electrodes for a ~1/4 sec, and this can only happens, if the lamp ignited with cold cathodes (Instant start).
Why this is happening?
Is this truly a warm starting?
Lamp date code: bst428

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about my Osram Duluxstar 8W/827 « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:15:21 PM » Author: Medved
This may happen on the programmed start ballast, when the preheating voltage/current are not sufficient, so electrodes do not reach the required temperature and/or their emission layer is worn out or damaged in another way (so require higher temperature to emit electrons and/or the heat transfer from tungsten core onto the coat surface is poor).
Same effect may happen on voltage mode heated electrode, when the filament is broken, but it's coat is still in good condition (e.g. result of mechanical shock; this happened to me while i was debugging my dimming ballast and the only visible problem was poor arc stability at low power setting - i thought the control loop dynamic stability was at fault, but i discovered the real cause later on)

Electrodes do not have to glow visibly, in fact the visible (incandescent yellow and/or pure thermionic emission white) glow indicate the temperature is too high (however this is considered of less problem then insufficient heating). At the generally recommended preheat temperature (so the filament resistance is 4x cold resistance) the incandescent glow is very dim red, so practically not visible (unless in dark room).

Do not forget, then good electrode coat is of white color, so it does emit the (incandescent) light only very poorly.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies