Author Topic: EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV.  (Read 1734 times)
HPS Lover
EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV. « on: May 27, 2016, 09:33:52 PM » Author: HPS Lover
Hello all Lighting Gallery Members:

To those who are not aware, mercury vapor :mv: bulbs were stated to have been banned at the beginning of 2016. >:( :o :'(  To me and other lighting collectors alike, this is rather unfortunate.  Not only will older fixtures have to be retrofitted or replaced, but the ban of  :mv: lamps also means the loss of that awesome bluish-green light.  It is unbelievable to think that lighting technology that has been around since 1901 has now been phased out.  However, I recently came across a series of bulbs known as EYE Moon Pulse lamps.  Another relatively well-known LG member, Arcblue, made a post on these bulbs.  In fact, their post is the way I came across this series of awesome, ingenious bulbs.  Basically, what the Moon Pulse lamps are is a series of mercury vapor lamp designed to run on newer PSMH ballasts.  They are more or less a standard MV lamp, but lack a starting resistor and electrode.  Thus, they can only run on a Pulse-Start ballast, they WILL NOT run on a standard MV ballast.  While this does put certain older fixtures to shame, it means MV is not completely gone.  Additionally, because these lamps are a "specialty" type of lamp, they are exempt from the ban.  Thus, in theory you could continue to convert newer PSMH fixtures to MV for a long time, assuming you can find these bulbs.

These bulbs are available in 50-175 watts; 100 being the most common.  They come in a standard E-shaped bulb, and R-shaped (both medium based); more common for landscape lighting.  Landscape lighting was EYE Lighting's motive for designing this series of lamp.  I recently bought a 100w one from the 1000Bulbs Amazon store; they (1000 Bulbs) also sell them directly on their site.  However, as mentioned, 100w the most commonly-available type.  Get them now while supplies last!  They are VERY inexpensive; I paid only around $16 for mine before shipping (about $4).  I will have some pictures of the bulb posted within a few weeks; I'm pretty busy at the moment.  Nonetheless, I absolutely love mine, and am THRILLED to know I will have mercury vapor in action for a long time to come! ;D

Thank you to everyone for your commission to keeping old lighting alive!  :)  Be sure to check out these lamps; you can find a whole brochure about them by doing a simple search of "EYE Moon Pulse", etc.  More to come from me! ;)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV. « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:41:00 PM » Author: BlueHalide
I just purchased a mercury lamp today that was made this past February, I dont think they have been banned. I can also still buy and order them anywhere. The moon pulse lamps are great but require a PSMH ballast.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV. « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:43:39 PM » Author: Lumex120
Hello all Lighting Gallery Members:

To those who are not aware, mercury vapor :mv: bulbs were stated to have been banned at the beginning of 2016. >:( :o :'(  To me and other lighting collectors alike, this is rather unfortunate.  Not only will older fixtures have to be retrofitted or replaced, but the ban of  :mv: lamps also means the loss of that awesome bluish-green light.  It is unbelievable to think that lighting technology that has been around since 1901 has now been phased out.  However, I recently came across a series of bulbs known as EYE Moon Pulse lamps.  Another relatively well-known LG member, Arcblue, made a post on these bulbs.  In fact, their post is the way I came across this series of awesome, ingenious bulbs.  Basically, what the Moon Pulse lamps are is a series of mercury vapor lamp designed to run on newer PSMH ballasts.  They are more or less a standard MV lamp, but lack a starting resistor and electrode.  Thus, they can only run on a Pulse-Start ballast, they WILL NOT run on a standard MV ballast.  While this does put certain older fixtures to shame, it means MV is not completely gone.  Additionally, because these lamps are a "specialty" type of lamp, they are exempt from the ban.  Thus, in theory you could continue to convert newer PSMH fixtures to MV for a long time, assuming you can find these bulbs.

These bulbs are available in 50-175 watts; 100 being the most common.  They come in a standard E-shaped bulb, and R-shaped (both medium based); more common for landscape lighting.  Landscape lighting was EYE Lighting's motive for designing this series of lamp.  I recently bought a 100w one from the 1000Bulbs Amazon store; they (1000 Bulbs) also sell them directly on their site.  However, as mentioned, 100w the most commonly-available type.  Get them now while supplies last!  They are VERY inexpensive; I paid only around $16 for mine before shipping (about $4).  I will have some pictures of the bulb posted within a few weeks; I'm pretty busy at the moment.  Nonetheless, I absolutely love mine, and am THRILLED to know I will have mercury vapor in action for a long time to come! ;D

Thank you to everyone for your commission to keeping old lighting alive!  :)  Be sure to check out these lamps; you can find a whole brochure about them by doing a simple search of "EYE Moon Pulse", etc.  More to come from me! ;)
Don't worry, regular mercs haven't been banned. They just restocked the lamp section at Fleet Farm and I found a new GE merc made in March 2016.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV. « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:47:22 PM » Author: Lumex120
Can you post links to places where you can get the 175w and 50w PSMV lamps? I can't find them.

Unofficial LG Discord

HPS Lover
Re: EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV. « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:44:01 PM » Author: HPS Lover
Good to know MV bulbs are still in production!! :D ;D. Thanks for nothing NEMA website!!   >:(  The 50w and 175 are now impossible to come by.  Amazon used to have a 50w R40 version; now out of stock.  175 I have never seen, although EYE states they make them they're impossible to find.  However, here's the link for the 100W one if you're interested; it's all there currently is. http://www.amazon.com/EYE-71470-Mercury-Lumens-Medium/dp/B004V4FWYA?ie=UTF8&keywords=Moon%20pulse&qid=1464406689&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:53:14 PM by Mercury Vapor 456 » Logged
HPS Lover
Re: EYE Moon Pulse Lamps Made to Work Around 2016 Ban; Used to Retrofit PSMH to MV. « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:50:22 PM » Author: HPS Lover
Update:  Found a 175W Moon Pulse HERE: 

http://www.soslightbulbs.com/product/household/eye-hr175w-mercury-vapor-landscape-light-bulb

It is an R40 shape rather than ED, but still a 175W version.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies