Author Topic: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps  (Read 3456 times)
jercar954

View Posts
View Gallery

The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « on: February 17, 2007, 04:29:48 PM » Author: jercar954
Aside from the problem with quality or, should I say lack of, what about what's contained within these lamps? Beryllium, cadmium, Barium or a hefty dose of mercury or other toxins? What about the no name brands, where would you find a MSDS for these lamps? I have yet to see a MSDS available on importers such as Feit, TCP, Lights of America or even on the website of TFC (Taiwan Fluorescent Co. ) Our government banned beryllium in June of 1949. Who's to say that they can't use any material they want and put the public in harm's way. To my knowledge and perhaps I am wrong, there is no government watchdog agency to monitor this.

Look at how many toys have been recalled from China any other countries because they contain lead paint. The domestic manufacture of lead paint was banned by our government in 1978.

What's your opinion?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 04:34:51 PM by jercar954 » Logged

Preheat and T-12 fluorescents forever! Down with LED's and instant start T-8 fluorescents.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 11:31:06 PM » Author: don93s
Interesting point...as we have MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for all the chemicals and oils we use at my work place. I'm aware that there are a variety of different things that can go into a fluorescent lamp, such as phosphors as well as emitters, as lamps show different characteristics as they age. I'm wondering, where does one normally find MSDS for light bulbs?
jercar954

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:16:49 PM » Author: jercar954
I know that the three major (GE, Philips, and Sylvania) manufacturers have them as PDF's on their websites.

Preheat and T-12 fluorescents forever! Down with LED's and instant start T-8 fluorescents.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:47:57 AM » Author: Silverliner
I actually wondered if fluorescent lamps in other countries still contain beryllium! Good that you pointed this out.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

jercar954

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:16:50 PM » Author: jercar954
It wouldn't surprise me, I read on the Web Osram removed beryllium in 1962.

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:50:00 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Mercury yes, Lead yes, Barium probably yes, Phosphorous yes. Short life yes. Rest of the toxic anybody's guess. Probably Strontium 90 in the phosphor, so dont eat them or handle food after handling broken glass without thorough hand washing.

Still prefer the Philips T8 made in Hungary, still decent life, and has cathode shields and reasonable mercury content. They still will not work as replacement for T12 in instant fittings with magnetic ballast, so am going to replace fittings as the tubes go, or will place electronic ballast in place therof. Ballasts made in EU also. so better quality! :)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 07:05:18 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
about 8 years ago or so....I had a F17T8 tube in my hands and mouth.....and that time I was really stressed out and didn't regonize what I was doing...and was biting hard and it exploded! Right in the middle and I had glass and phosphor in my mouth.....with about halves of tube in each of my hands.........Had to wash out my tonuge....didn't go to doctor or anything or wasn't even bleeding and now today...my blood tests are fine, healthy!!!!!

Whew!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

jercar954

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:14:07 PM » Author: jercar954
Was it a Chinese 17T8?

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:44:04 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
no....as I can remember....it was either a USA or Mexico....... not sure really....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:34:49 PM » Author: lightman64
Yeah those chinese lamps are junk, especally since cfls are now more popular. when i 1st bought cfls for my house- 3 years ago they were pretty good. now a 6 pack of GE or N:vision has about 3 bulbs actually worth anything. i had a GE 23 watt and the ballast went bad the  1st time i turned it on; it was buzzing loud and the bulb was real dim. and another time i bought a Sylvania instant- on mini and it smoked and burned. now i have to be very carful on what cfls i buy.                             by the way, what would be the best brand to get (besides Feit Electric which i can't get) ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:36:53 PM by lightman64 » Logged

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The problem I have with Chinese fluorescent lamps « Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 12:54:12 AM » Author: arcblue
Does Panasonic still make their CFL's in Japan? Panasonics were great CFL's but expensive. Haven't been able to find any lately. I think TCP is a reliable brand...I remember reading some notes about how the president of that company was not happy about CFL's melting down at end-of-life and has put in technology to make sure that doesn't happen with TCP CFL's.

I would have bought up more magnetic-ballasted CFL's, as they are very long-lived & reliable but they just don't fit in many fixtures. Amazingly I have a number of Lights of America CFL's and all have been working great. I even have one from 1992 still in regular use (on its third lamp but same adapter).

I'm lampin...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies