Author Topic: My 1950 single lamp desk lamp  (Read 2479 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

My 1950 single lamp desk lamp « on: July 05, 2011, 08:20:54 PM » Author: Powell
It may be earlier than that. It has  a potted GE ballast. The push switch to preheat failed long ago, and it was given to me at a thrift store as it did not work. Well I found out the person who had it had wired in the new switch but just TAPED the wires that he had WRAPPED around the starter. So I added a starter socket, but turning it on was rather erratic. Spraying the switch with DeOxit....helped. Now this lamp sits atop my Zenith High Fidelity AM-FM tube type radio with wood cabinet which sits atop the refrigerator. The switch got so erratic that if you opened and closed the refrigerator the light would go out. So I took the lamp apart and wired in the new switch and the hole    is too small!!! GRRRR! So, I left the switch underneath until, I can find another that will fit, or can widen the hole a tiny bit. Right now I have a F15T12 GE Reveal in it. The phosphors on this lamp seem a mess, and it looks like they used carbonated water for the mix.....I have some Phillips F15T12D lamps made in Mexico. When  I was in West Columbia I had tried one in another desk lamp (starter preheat) and it didn't last a year! I have 2 of these somewhere. If I can't find them (sigh) I will just get another one. 

Powell

NNNN!

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My 1950 single lamp desk lamp « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:21 PM » Author: Powell
I found my Phillips F15T12D!  Now I need to find a starter that will cut off at bulb EOL, but has an automatic reset. I think they are (were) FS-2NA.

Powell

NNNN!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: My 1950 single lamp desk lamp « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:23 AM » Author: DieselNut
Try FS-200 for the starter also.  I know my FS-4 starters for 40 watt lamps with the manual reset are called FS-400.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My 1950 single lamp desk lamp « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:38:47 PM » Author: Powell
I struck out under that also! Since the lamp is monitored daily, I will change the lamp when it gets very close to EOL.

Powell

NNNN!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies