Author Topic: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden  (Read 23692 times)
Mercury Man

View Gallery

eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « on: July 18, 2011, 01:49:34 AM » Author: Mercury Man
Going forward, members are forbidden to post links to eBay auctions on the site, UNLESS he or she is the winning bidder.

Should a member post a link to an eBay auction that has not yet closed, s/he can expect his/her account to be suspended.

*To respond to a question another member posted with regard to this:  the reason this is now forbidden is due to a conflict of interest between members.  As the administrators agree, it is unfair for members to knowingly compete against one another in eBay auctions.  It has the potential for causing animosity on the forum.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:14:37 PM by Mercury Man » Logged
magslight

View Gallery

eBay Auction Links/Postings (Merged Topic) « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:43:11 AM » Author: magslight
I can't reply there: link and my question is: Why is that forbidden?
dor123

View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:11:30 AM » Author: dor123
I guess that this is related to spam prevention.
Because eBay auctions have often advertising and sometimes the advertising is misleading/wrong/false/transgression of the law, malicious bots can use this for spam or phishing activity.
Posting of a link to an eBay auction that has not yet closed, is a type of adverising, and often used for spamming.
This is my thoughts of this rule: Prevent spam in Lighting-Galllery.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:39:21 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak english well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I hope that LED won't replace all forms of other light

Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 02:16:43 PM » Author: Mercury Man
@ magslight:  I have made an addendum to that post which you can view by clicking here.  The reason you cannot reply to that post is because I have locked it.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:20:07 PM by Mercury Man » Logged
dor123

View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:52:01 AM » Author: dor123
I thought today about this reason for the rule, that posting an eBay auction that still open, might do bad things to the members of Lighting-Gallery, including competition between members.

I"m don't speak english well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I hope that LED won't replace all forms of other light

Ash

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:32:34 AM » Author: Ash
I thought today about this reason for the rule, that posting an eBay auction that still open, might do bad things to the members of Lighting-Gallery, including competition between members.

So nobody getting it is better than 2 competing over it ?
Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:55 AM » Author: Mercury Man
Those of us who like to collect vintage fixtures look on eBay all the time.  It is better that we don't know who we are competing with for a fixture, rather than two people from the site getting into a fight because one member won something the other wanted.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:59:55 PM by Mercury Man » Logged
Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:31:57 AM » Author: Patrick
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this policy, you may discuss the matter in the eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden thread on the General Discussion board.  Let us know if you agree that the rule will reduce conflicts, if you like the idea but feel it should be altered in some way, or if you think it is unnecessary to put any special restrictions on auction links.  We are always open to member suggestions and ideas.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Ash

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 03:52:09 PM » Author: Ash
It is up to members responsibility to (be capable to) "get over it" where there would be potential for conflict on any subject or grounds. Ebay is no exception, and i dont see why it justifies a rule of its own, to solve a problem that does not have to exist in the first place

Would you write explicit rules against Hg vs Na / HF vs magnetic / Dell vs Lenovo / any other debates and conflicts ? I guess no, because i expect any LG members to be mature enough to not need suh rules

Same for ebay. If you do not want other LG members to compete on the same auction, dont post about it on LG. If you posted it, be aware that somebody (more than one) can compete with you, and outbid you. Your choice, your consequences

As for 2 members competing about item posted by a 3rd one, one is going to outbid the other.
 - If as you say both do search ebay on their own all the time, they would compete anyway, just not knowing it. In this case the post on LG had no effect
 - If one of them would not bid wihout the post in LG, perhaps the other one would not either, and no one would get the item. In this case without the post on LG possibly no one would get the item. Better that way ?
Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:30 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Ash, this is true...but I'm not sure you're fully understanding my reasoning.

What happens when the winner posts a picture of the item that another member lost?  Knowing some of the histrionics that certain members are known for, I'm not sure that as an administrator I want to have to address two members at odds for this reason.  

Also, there is a possibility that members have LOST auctions because they were posted here, whereas otherwise, other members wouldn't have known about the item.  For instance, I had already been watching the auction for a fixture on eBay for TWO DAYS before someone posted the link to it on here.  I wasn't overly happy when this happened, since it increased the competition for me to win the fixture.

I also am a member of another collector's forum (not lighting related) in which the posting of eBay auctions is forbidden for this very reason.  So for me to believe in enforcing the same kind of rule isn't all "that" crazy of me, as some of you may think.

The final decision will lie in Patrick's hands.  

Personally, I will not be bidding on any eBay auctions posted here on the site.    
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:59:25 PM by Mercury Man » Logged
Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:50 PM » Author: Patrick
Brian has some well-grounded concerns regarding posting eBay auction links.  I was not aware of these until yesterday when I read the news here, however, and therefore I have had only a short time to take them into consideration.  As Brian points out there are other sites which do place restrictions on auction postings.  These rules are either in an attempt to reduce potential hostility or simply to cut down on the amount of messages that are little more than advertisements for items available sale elsewhere.  If we keep this rule in effect, I do not plan to police the boards looking for eBay links to delete, but it would give us an official policy to fall back on in the event of a dispute.  Ultimately we put these type of rules in place to benefit members and help the site operate better.  I'm sure most of you have been on other sites which have been rendered unusable due to trolls, flame wars, and spam.  If you don't agree with this rule or any other site rule, just let us know and we'll take your opinion into consideration.  We won't always change the policy, but we're not going to criticize anyone for voicing their opinion either.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

DaveMan
Administrator

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 12:16:08 AM » Author: DaveMan
As another admin, I have mixed feelings on this subject, although at this point, Patrick has the final say. I'm against vindictive bidding and I'm against stockpiling without giving other collectors a chance, but at the same time there are some auction listings which would have gone unseen by the lighting community had they not been posted here. Sometimes things are stated using the incorrect vocabulary and sometimes things are listed only by make and model numbers. However, I can understand why bidding wars and conflicts that got started by ebay listings can cause problems amongst the memberbase here. Although I myself have posted links to listings from time to time, I agree with Patrick that Brian has raised some well reasoned concerns in regards to this. With that said, I'll conclude this posting and give Patrick the final say in his decision. Thanks everyone.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:26:57 AM » Author: Mercury Man
Since we three admins have not yet had an official meeting to discuss the outcome of this idea, and, to me, it seems to be pending toward what I have initially said, which is that my current ruling toward the forbiddance of the postings of live eBay auctions will hold until further notice, no further questions in regard to this matter will be asked here. 
DieselNut

View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Postings of E-Bay sales auctions « Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:20:50 AM » Author: DieselNut
Here is my thought on the recent discussion about posting E-Bay auctions: I think it is an overall benefit to have postings linked here in the forums.  I have won several items that I would have otherwise never known about and have shared with other members links to auctions where they have won the item.  What should be established, as a rule of for respect for others, could be something like: If a link is posted to something, and a fellow member shows interest, let that member have the "right of way" to it.  If a link is posted to an auction and a member has already posted a bid on it, the member bidding should let the rest of us know so we will not bid against them.  This would actually work better than if we did not have it posted here.  We must trust and respect each other, not over regulate things that can be a great tool to ourselves and fellow collectors.
By the way, I posted a link (before seeing the new "rule") to an allotment of "Blue fluorescent lamps" because I had a question about them.  The item had no bids at the time of placing the link.  If any of yall would like those, go for it!  I was just curious of it.
Please do not forbid us from placing links to e-bay auctions.  I have been GLAD to share my search findings with fellow members in hopes that someone here wins the auction.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Ash

View Gallery

Re: Postings of E-Bay sales auctions « Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40:45 AM » Author: Ash
1+
Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines