Author Topic: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden  (Read 24444 times)
seansy59

View Gallery

I am OPEN for Lighting talk!

Re: Postings of E-Bay sales auctions « Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:53 PM » Author: seansy59
2+  Wink

Rapid Start and Preheat fluorescent! No instant start!

joseph_125

View Gallery

GoL
Re: Postings of E-Bay sales auctions « Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28:55 PM » Author: joseph_125
+1 I wouldn't have known about some of the stuff on ebay if member's didn't post them here.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 08:26:01 PM » Author: Patrick
There were three separate threads regarding this matter, so I've merged them all together.  DieselNut's suggestion above is good, and would probably be work well most of the time, but I have a couple of concerns with it.

1.  If an L-G member does not concede when another showed interest, it would actually increase the likelihood that the auction will end with hard feelings.  It may not even have been the case that the member who won was not behaving conscientiously.  He or she might simply have never read the post.
2.  If L-G members aren't competing, more auctions are going to be won by non-members who bid higher. 

I've been thinking about the original rule and have a possible revision.  We allow hyperlinks to listings and discussions about open auctions.  However, nobody is allowed to disclose their own bids, or the bids of anyone else (if you happen to know that an acquaintance is participating) until after the auction has closed.  That means you don't share whether or not you have bid or plan to bid, the amount you would bid, your bidding strategy, or your eBay user name.  You can express interest in an item and talk about it all you like, just don't share specifics regarding your participation in the auction itself.  This will ensure that any competition between members remains as much of a secret as possible.  Once the auction is over, there is less likely to be bitterness among members given that they wouldn't have known that they were both bidders at the time they placed their bids.  On an related topic, I think it should be mandatory that anyone posting a link to en eBay auction disclose whether or not he or she is the seller.  We don't want there to be any confusion regarding the poster's stake in the item.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

DieselNut

View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 09:04:44 PM » Author: DieselNut
Great idea Patrick! Like I said before, I have won some nice items thanks to posts here, including the two lights I restored and hung in my kitchen and the vintage NOS instant start enclosed fixture and the NOS halfpiper. I have also shared plenty here and have even (unknowingly) bid against and lost to other members on a few. Your idea seems like it will work great. Thanks for a compromise that can work!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 10:13:01 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Not to play devil's advocate, but there still lies the dilemma of the following scenario (outside of what has been pointed out thus far in this thread):

1)  An L-G member "surreptitiously" (or, simply, unknowingly) competes aggressively against another L-G member for an eBay item.  By "surreptitiously", I refer to the known anonymity of eBay, and the circumstance that a fellow member may still bid on the item REGARDLESS of whether or not another member has expressed interest in bidding on the item and/or winning it.  Ultimately (however, unfortunately) there is always the possibility of a member secretly going to any length to win the item in question, depending upon the intensity of his/her desire for owning it.

2)  At auction's end, the winning bidder, taking pride in his/her acquisition, uploads a photo of his/her purchase.

3) The losing bidder now knows who outbid him/her...and that is where the potential for discord begins.

(Sidebar:  since the onset of eBay auctions being posted on the site, this has been my greatest concern.  Those of you who know me well enough know that I like to keep the peace on the site by taking a very intolerant stance on drama and adversity between members.  There have been numerous times where I have had to address insolence between members for this very reason...some incidents occurred prior to some members' registration on the site).

Unfortunately, I have very recently experienced firsthand this type of scenario.  As a very savvy eBay bidder, I had ensured to the BEST of my ability, by utilizing certain tools I'm aware of, to prevent myself from losing that auction.

Could it have been someone from the site who outbid me?  Very possibly.  Could I have won that auction had it not been linked here?  Very possibly, though I don't know for sure. 

Are some fellow members of this site very computer-savvy?  Indeed.

To be perfectly honest, I am an eBay sniper.  When I plan to win an item, I NEVER lose.  Imagine my shock when I didn't win the fixture I wanted that was, incidentally, posted on here...a full TWO DAYS after I had added it to my eBay "Watch List".

As an adult, and an administrator, if the individual who outbid me IS a fellow L-G member, while I may not have LIKED to see the item in question within the possession of someone I know, I wouldn't have made a big deal of it. 

However, the most poignant issue here, which is the reason I have brought this up in the first place, is that THIS SCENARIO WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN AT SOME POINT...only I didn't think it would happen to ME personally.

As a result, I am using this incident as a segue to address this issue, which was, in all honesty, EVENTUALLY BOUND TO OCCUR, upon my initial thoughts with regard to auctions being posted here.

My thinking is that we should put this to vote amongst the membership.  We have never done this sort of thing before, but it might be germane to do so.  If we were to do this, it would have to be done in a separate post with certain guidelines in place.

Also, perhaps we admins could include a clause in the site rules forbidding animosity between members for any reason...and the eruption of this type of scenario would fall under that umbrella.  Thoughts?

Ash

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:01 PM » Author: Ash
Pjc's suggestion solves MercuryMan's concerns. Why ?

MercuryMan's example comes down to members "mad" at other members that knowingly outbid them, causing tension between members

Since by pjc's suggestion the members dont know who is bidding, it is impossible (using the thread information alone) to avoid this, and you can;t regret or be mad about something that could not be avoided

But i think LG can use another approach to the problem

I am comparing this in some sense to lamp bans :

Sure incandescent and T12 and mercury are not efficient compared to their alernatives. The smart approach is not to ban the inefficient lamps, but to use them sparingly only where needed. This means that we trust the lighting installer to choose the correct lamp

Now this allows to solve sub-problems, example :

Member A bid and won a rare fixture. Member B bid and won a rare lamp for this fixture. Without knowing about each other bidding, they would be stuck with a nice but useless lamp and fixture. With knowing about each other before the auction is closed, one can agree to give the other way to the lamp / fixture (maybe in exchange for something else from the other member)

Sure this needs the members to be responsible, respectfull, mature etc. and accept that mishaps do happen. I think LG members can be trusted with this

As for what happened to MercuryMan, maybe by participating in the thread during the bidding this would not be such a shock or surprise to lose the fixture. In this case no claim can be made to the other member either since he did not do anything wrong

The end result we wanted to avoid is members getting mad at each other, so a rule directly for this condition can be made, no matter whether it was due to ebay or something else. But was there allready a case which would fall under this rule ? if no, it shows that the rule is understood and respected without being written anyway
DieselNut

View Gallery

John

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:41 AM » Author: DieselNut
There are a LOT of E-Bay "snipers" out there.  I have had the same thing done to me several times, at the last couple seconds when trying to win other items.  I was bidding on a new, unused Yanmar air cooled diesel engine.  There had been NO other bids on it, then within the last few seconds of the auction end, someone came in and blew away my (I felt reasonable) bid.  This sort of thing will happen with anything on E-bay when there is someone else out there who wants the item more than you do.  I think having these things posted in the forums lets at least a few fellow members here know that a fellow member is interested in the item.  The ones who will place the extremely high bids at the last second will STILL do that, but at least we will not be driving an item's price higher against a fellow known collector.  Would I have LOVED to have had that beautiful fixture?  Absolutely!  BUT, there were other members who had shown interest in it and I did not "need" it (plus money is TIGHT right now).  When another member has ever shown interest (through the posts in this forum), I do not bid against them.  The forum is a great "tool" for this reason.  It is also, as I mentioned before, a great "tool" to suggest findings to fellow members.  Several of us have bought items that we would have never known were otherwise for sale.  Occasionally, there are great deals on "Buy It Now" sales.  I have shared several of those here also.
The fact is, there will ALWAYS be competition on these auctions.  At least if it is posted in the forums here, there will be LESS of a chance that fellow collectors will be bidding against each other.  I would say the majority of us here on L-G are very respectful to each other and would be GLAD to know something we had interest in is going to a fellow collector here.  The guys I have "met" here have been kind and generous.  Several of us have done personal trades.  We have shared lots of information.  Posting links to E-Bay auctions is sharing information.  With the general respect we have for each other on L-G, sharing the links is by far more of a GOOD thing than the few bad things than can occasionally happen (regardless if it were posted here or not).

nogden

View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 05:16:51 PM » Author: nogden
I understand the basis and reasoning for banning eBay links, but I feel it is more important to share items with other members to further the hobby. I have purchased a number of nice finds on eBay that I wouldn't have found on my own. I don't know about the rest of us, but I work more than full time and am still going to college. As much as I would like to, I simply don't have time to search eBay! Therefore, I truly appreciate when other members post links to items that they have found but don't care to bid on themselves.

I sort of like the idea of restricting discussion of who is bidding, but I like to know if other members are interested before I bid. I don't want to bid on an item if another member is planning to bid. If we restrict this discussion, or ban posting links altogether, I won't know if I'm bidding against fellow members. I just don't like the idea of bidding against fellow collectors! Posting eBay links and stating our interests helps to reduce this problem. We are all adults here -- we can deal with little issues like who is going to bid on an item! If another member wants an item worse than I do, more power to them! I don't want to stand in their way.

The admins do a terrific job of keeping this site running well so I support their final decision. I know they are making this decision in the best interest of this fine site. Still, I truly hope we can continue expanding the hobby by posting eBay links and our intentions to bid.

Thanks,
Nelson Ogden
DimBulb

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 05:30:12 PM » Author: DimBulb
Why not just use PMs or email to let our friends know about items??
I've pretty much given up on collecting fluorescent fixtures because I can no longer afford them.
Since ebay auctions started being posted here, prices have gone WAY beyond my reach on deco fixtures and early fluorescent lamps! Remember, this forum is public and non members can see these posts.

Another forum I belong to has a special catagory for Ebay, Craigslist, etc. It's private, so only members can view it when signed in.

My very first word was LIGHT!

nogden

View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 05:32:35 PM » Author: nogden
Actually I really like DimBulb's idea about posting eBay links in a private forum, accessible only by registered members. I never thought about the general public watching links on this site.
Danny

View Gallery

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 04:18:31 PM » Author: Danny
I know this is out of LG's reach, but I think Ebay needs to BAN the auctions and only have BUY IT NOW, I think this would solve most of the problems on here, including the problems of people being ripped off on there aswell, by people that bid in the last 2 or 3 seconds

I don't think that Links for Items on ebay before they've ended should be banned from LG because, somebody might not want an item that theyve spotted BUT put it on here to see if anybody else wants it... but then again, we have a higher possibility of members being outbid by other members.

Danny
DieselNut

View Gallery

John

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:58 AM » Author: DieselNut
Actually I really like DimBulb's idea about posting eBay links in a private forum, accessible only by registered members. I never thought about the general public watching links on this site.
I agree.  Dimbulb's idea is the best, regarding making it in a private forum only for members.  A diesel site I am a member of has this system.  It works well there too.  We all kinda "know" each other here, and by what I have seen, we are very respectful with each other.  Heck, I have never personally "met" any of yall, but consider many to be "friends" now.  As a side note, I wish (maybe when the worldwide economy improves) we could plan a heck of a gathering for members.  I would gladly host it in my party shop!  Grin

DieselNut

View Gallery

John

Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:01 AM » Author: DieselNut
I agree.  Dimbulb's idea is the best, regarding making it in a private forum only for members.  A diesel site I am a member of has this system.  It works well there too.  We all kinda "know" each other here, and by what I have seen, we are very respectful with each other.  Heck, I have never personally "met" any of yall, but consider many to be "friends" now.  As a side note, I wish (maybe when the worldwide economy improves) we could plan a heck of a gathering for members.  I would gladly host it in my party shop!  Grin

Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 06:41:08 PM » Author: Patrick
I wouldn't be opposed to creating a separate board for auction listings if a majority of members prefer that approach, but I'd like to hear what Brian and Dave think about that option first.  If it is members-only, then links might not drive up prices as much if they were public.  However, it doesn't address Brian's original concerns about potential conflicts that could result from member competition.

For the time being, feel free to continue to post links to open auctions.  It would be unfair to reprimand members for posting links while we are still discussing the matter, and anyone reading this thread might get confused regarding which post represents the official policy.  If we decide to proceed with any restrictions, either those Brian listed originally or any of the other rules suggested here, we will create a new topic announcing the final decision.

If you choose post a link to an open auction, just keep in mind that doing so might result in increased competition making it more difficult for you to win.  Also, I would suggest that members do not post details regarding their own bids.  You cannot reserve an item up for auction elsewhere on this site, so don't be surprised if another member outbids you.  While you are welcome to communicate with your friends regarding your shared interest in an item so that you do not unintentionally bid against each other, please coordinate those efforts off of the message boards.  A public discussion could result in hard feelings if another site member not involved was to outbid those who were attempting to cooperate by letting their friend have the item, even if that outside member was not aware of the group's efforts.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Foxtronix

View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: eBay Auction Links/Postings Forbidden « Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:03 PM » Author: Foxtronix
In my opinion, there is no particular reason to forbid linking of "Buy it now" listings, since there is no competition, no bids. It's there if you saw it first, but if you post it here and someone is faster than you, well that's your problem LOL. Now for auctions that's another story. Some lots are separable, like cases of lamps, of photocontrols. Then there's a way to discuss about splitting the lot, something that will eventually happen anyway LOL.

Long story short, the best thing to do would be to evaluate links individually, and remove those that could create conflict between two bidders.

Just my two cents  Grin

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines