Author Topic: HPS: Coated or Clear  (Read 5717 times)
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

HPS: Coated or Clear « on: March 06, 2007, 09:41:29 PM » Author: FGS
Which one you like better for HPS, coated or clear? I like the coated version cuz there are less glare.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

dp
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:40 PM » Author: dp
Which one you like better for HPS, coated or clear? I like the coated version cuz there are less glare.

I agree, coated, but then again, it is easier to see the interesting effects the arc tube does when warming up although recent coated lamps have a thinner coating on it which means you still see the arc tube  ;)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:20 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I agree with DP.......BUT Coated is better for FCO for less glare...same for drop refractors and sag lens.......but DP is right......its fun to see a HPS make funny effects when starting up...not all HPS start up the same LOL

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lightboy90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:36:55 AM » Author: lightboy90
Yes! Clear Elliptical lamps are very great! At the most I like Sylvania Lumalux 50W lamps. These lamps I like very much.
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:30:17 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Coated, less glare. Unfortunately municipality mixes lamps, so you get a odd assortment, HPS, MV and even MH in identical fittings down a street. The coated MV gives the best light with minimum glare, the MH is clear with slight glare while the HPS is incredibly bright with massive glare. Not helped by the fittings being skew and facing the traffic in many cases. Those that still work that is, the common dayburner seems to thrive, even though the cable thieves try their best........
lightingcollector84

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:15:00 PM » Author: lightingcollector84
I have never seen a coated HPS in operation.  I have a feeling that it would be better than the clear bulbs.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:17 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I have seen them...very nice looking mind you!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:47:40 PM » Author: arcblue
I prefer clear HPS lamps; better focus (as most are used in floodlights) and the lamp looks nice when turned off. however, if the lamp is hidden from view, particularly in a post-top light, coated is better. In downtown Seattle, most of the posttops have clear lamps, and you can see the bright spot of the arc tube - I don't like that.
At home, all my HPS lamps are clear except for one fixture, which I will keep using coated lamps in as long as I have a supply. It appears that the coated HPS lamps I have actually use a phosphor - you can see the red glow at start up and when the unlit bulb glows red under a blacklight.

I'm lampin...

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 10:54:57 PM » Author: icefoglights
I mostly have clear HPS at home.  I currently have one 70W Philips Ceramalux OEM that is coated.  I also had two 35W bulbs that where coated.  One was a Lucalox and I'm not sure what the other one was.  One of them was installed in my old house when it sold.  I'm not sure what happened to the other one.  The coated ones seem to be harder to find today.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:04:38 AM » Author: lite_lover
I like the clear better,you can see the arc tube characteristics at start-up and lamp is brighter.

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 05:25:41 PM » Author: form109
i like clear too,it gives a better light distribution!
gmercury2000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 05:33:03 PM » Author: gmercury2000
I think coated would look better in an FCO fixture as you would get a softer light distribution where as with clear lamps you have bright and dark spots depending on the reflector pattern. As for clear lamps in a fixture with a refractor clear lamps are ok.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 05:44:08 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I think coated would look better in an FCO fixture as you would get a softer light distribution where as with clear lamps you have bright and dark spots depending on the reflector pattern. As for clear lamps in a fixture with a refractor clear lamps are ok.

Yeah Geoff, if you look at the FCO or Sag lens coated mercs they do a good job lighting the road.....so HPS DO need to be coated.....think you can make that happen?

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:44:41 PM » Author: FGS
Why aren't nobody using coated HPS? ??? ??? There is only ONE place I've seen them. How often are coated HPS used in europe?

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

gmercury2000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS: Coated or Clear « Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:53:14 PM » Author: gmercury2000
Yeah Geoff, if you look at the FCO or Sag lens coated mercs they do a good job lighting the road.....so HPS DO need to be coated.....think you can make that happen?

Jace you have to keep in mind it is all about cost, It's hard enough to get them to switch from Philips to a better brand lamp!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies