Author Topic: old desk lamp  (Read 3199 times)
CFLman
old desk lamp « on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:11 PM » Author: CFLman
heres an old manual preheat desk lamp ive had for awhile now. has a GE ballast but what kind is it? theres no makers mark anywhere.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:15 PM » Author: Powell
I have a 2 lamp version of this that looks new. Had black ended Sylvania WHITE lamps that date to late 40's to mid 50's.  Lamps have almost no use on them!  Is yours 1 or 2 lamp?

NNNN!

CFLman
Re: old desk lamp « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:21:52 PM » Author: CFLman
I have a 2 lamp version of this that looks new. Had black ended Sylvania WHITE lamps that date to late 40's to mid 50's.  Lamps have almost no use on them!  Is yours 1 or 2 lamp?

one. well used too flickers a lot. ready to be changed. ballast buzzes like crazy too. like to listen to it i dont consider it a nuisance, probably nobody on LG does
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:03:08 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
a neighbor has one like yours.it was trashed and i took it apart so he could take it into his hotrod body shop and paint it.it is a "moe lite"
had been in his family from the 40's.
he did a great job on it.i did the electrical work.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:08 PM » Author: dor123
Today, all of the desk lamps that are for sale in lighting and hardware shops, are all with E27 base and cheapee energy saving CFLs.
We have no PL desk lamps, nor F8T5 desk lamps, only junky energy saving CFL desk lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:39:18 PM » Author: Ash
Not a big problem to convert one of them to PL-D, but bad that it does not change the total quantity of CFL fixtures sold and used, which is just too high. CFLs should not be used as a light source of choice, but only as light source for retrofitting incandescents. The PL is what should go instead of CFL in new fixtures
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:54:01 PM » Author: dor123
Not a big problem to convert one of them to PL-D, but bad that it does not change the total quantity of CFL fixtures sold and used, which is just too high. CFLs should not be used as a light source of choice, but only as light source for retrofitting incandescents. The PL is what should go instead of CFL in new fixtures
Ash: U R really really right. Instead of promoting the more efficient PLs for the new fixtures, they promoting the E27 fixtures more and more, despite incandescent have been banned and they originally used E27 bases.
The distribution of the PL fixtures should be increased, not disappeared.
I think that the promotions of the LED lighting, is an other causes of the disappearing of the PL fixtures from the stores.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:08:01 PM » Author: Ash
When did you see the last time a LED desk lamp with E27 socket ?

Or one where the lamp is vertical burning position (so the most common directional LED lamp would even light in the correct direction if LED lamp is used in it) ?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:16:00 AM » Author: dor123
When did you see the last time a LED desk lamp with E27 socket ?

Or one where the lamp is vertical burning position (so the most common directional LED lamp would even light in the correct direction if LED lamp is used in it) ?
I means energy saving CFL desk lamps with E27 sockets with a similar style of the PL desk lamps (Where the CFL is horizontal to the reflector, regardless the reflector position). Not LED desk lamps with E27 sockets.

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: old desk lamp « Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:13:54 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
its hard to care about the more modern stuff when these old high quality easily repaired and maintained tanks are so easy to find and fix.
f15t8's will be with us forever. :a_fluor:
i even convert these for 12v and 24v for solar homes.
one of my ladyfriends wanted to read a while back but was more comfortable at my kitchen table.
hey whats with this odd plug!she tried to move a lamp to the kitchen table.
there is now a 12v powerpole outlet there too now.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies