Author Topic: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016.  (Read 8514 times)
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:33 AM » Author: funkybulb
this is a really pethetic to ban MV, since MH is known to go kaboom. i rather ton have MV for blue white light source. i dont understand why mercury have to be so bad if handled properly. and most utilty recycle there bulbs.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 07:06:02 AM » Author: Medved
this is a really pethetic to ban MV, since MH is known to go kaboom. i rather ton have MV for blue white light source. i dont understand why mercury have to be so bad if handled properly. and most utilty recycle there bulbs.

The arguments to promote the ban are not the mercury content (and related stuff), but the "low efficacy" of the MV's.
The MH's do contain about the same amount of Hg as the MV's, but generate the light more efficiently.
And regarding the explosion risk - the MV's could explode as well, it is matter of arctube or ballast defects.

But in what no other source could compete the MV lamps is the reliability...

No more selfballasted c***

Lightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:41 PM » Author: Lightguy
I hope MV lives forever on.  ;D :mv:

N.A. ;)

slipperypete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 12:58:51 PM » Author: slipperypete
Yeah doesn't MH have a really violent behavior at EOL?

Bulb bans = Fascism

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 04:17:50 PM » Author: Medved
Yeah doesn't MH have a really violent behavior at EOL?

It is more likely then with MV, but still it is only few percents really exploding so violently the outer does not survive, majority just cycle, peacefully die or when the arctube rupture, mostly it still remain inside the intact outer.
But the fixture design should be ready to contain it, even these few percent are too much to not be cared of.

Such risk is involved with all lamps with pressure way above the atmospheric, so even with MV.
MV's only have the advantage of unsaturated vapor lamps - they can not encounter the thermal runaway, unless the ballast is failing.

No more selfballasted c***

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:19 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I signed the petition! Long live Mercury Vapor! :mv: I have a question: If this thread has gotten 77x views, how come the petition only has 236 signatures?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:56:13 PM by TheUniversalDave1 » Logged
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 07:20:18 PM » Author: nogden
This post probably has so many more views because we keep returning to this page to see what others have posted (just as I just did!).
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:05 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
our numbers here are insignificant as far as any petition goes.
energy best spent obtaining a lifetime supply of lamps and gear before these take effect.
as for reduced maintainence with mv thats wrong.
eol bulbs still emit light so many dont replace them even though they may be 80% down in output.
i see that the ones in my area get replaced every 3 years.yes it makes a huge difference!
when i ran a 100w mv mouted on the side of the house the lamp was pretty much worn out in 3 years.i pulled it down when it got to buzzing loudly.its about to be reborn as a custom led fixture.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 08:17:43 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
The petition doesn't even exist anymore - the site went out of business.  :P Not that it mattered anyway; it was just a couple hundred signatures that went nowhere. You need thousands of signatures before the government or whoever it's directed at even notices it - a number which far exceeds us.b

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 04:10:06 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Is it confirmed that this 2016 ban is also affecting Canada?

As precaution, I've been stocking up aggressively on 175w and 250w MV and even some probe MH  lamps and gear

Administrator #5

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 01:22:11 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
this is yet another short sighted mess that trades a bit of energy savings for worse pollution from new junk that hits the trash way before its time.
since the stuff has to be cheap to get any interest junk is what is on the shelves.
i have a lifetime supply here to service the areas that i dont mind the fixtures buzzing like a hornets nest.
i still have yet to convert the 100w merc to led.its good for this since its diecast.
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 08:16:10 PM » Author: Flurofan96
NOW we need a petition to stop LEDisease before its too late

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 10:47:33 PM » Author: Lumex120
NOW we need a petition to stop LEDisease before its too late
I had this idea for quite a while. i think it would be a good idea to start a movement against mass HID replacements with LEDs, and we could provide real evidence that PSMH and CMH are much greener solutions than LED (lamps can be recycled, more efficient, when burns out entire fixture doesn't need to be replaced). It would sort of be like DSA, only we would have actually done research about this rather than stating that "LED IS GOOD AND EVRYTHING ELSE IS EVUL!!11111!!!!!!!!! without any evidence to prove it. Mercs also are good for plants at night, and would actually be a great eco-friendly solution that would help trees affected by HPS, LED and MH streetlights. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Unofficial LG Discord

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 07:16:36 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Zarlog, thanks for supporting my idea  :) I think there a lot of excellent evidence on LG that LEDS are poorly made and perform less well compared to HIDS with their lifespan, heat problem with heatsinking (how its that efficient in the first place= a type of light source needing heat ventilation whilst claiming to be energy efficient) in petition we need to state the facts with picture evidence that:

[LED problems]

-They don't last as expected
-light quality is poor/dangerous for night vision
-Entire fixture needs to be replaced if LEDS fail in them
-They interfere with mains waveform and cause problems with transformers according to Hannahs Lights

[HID>LED]

-HPS is better and provides better even light compared to the patchy nature of the LEDS
-MV is good for places where there is a lot of trees as its light won't trigger the photosynthesis
-breakdown of HID fixtures is easily repairable of components and lamp
-CMH is much greener solution as it gives more light compared to LED and consumes less energy

Whoever made that petition back then, needs to do this to stop LEDisease

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

chapman84
Re: Petition online to protect mercury vapor bulbs from being banned on 2016. « Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 10:16:51 AM » Author: chapman84
I think LED's are great for traffic lights, but not for street lighting. Besides, there no significant cost reductions to the customer anyway because LED street lights are still way more expensive than HID ones and the technology's durability is unproven. Not to mention there are potential distribution and maintenance costs that negate any savings. I just hope people wake up to the truth about LED street lights before it's too late. Just because something looks good doesn't mean it is.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies