Author Topic: New fluorescent streetlights?  (Read 8331 times)
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

New fluorescent streetlights? « on: April 07, 2007, 04:23:48 PM » Author: don93s
I found a link that someone posted in the streetlights_1 group. Very interesting study done to see how much improvement fluorescents would be over HPS. They explained how our night-time vision reacts poorly with HPS lighting. They installed fluorescent lighting that uses 30 percent less energy than HPS and the residents had a very positive reaction. Less gloomy and better visibility.

Here is the link.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:17:51 AM by don93s » Logged
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:46:28 AM » Author: SeanB~1
Got to agree. Locally there are mixed HPS and MV on same height poles using same fixtures along streets. It is much easier to see in the MV sections as opposed to the HPS sections, much less glare as well. On freeway the same applies, but unfortunately they are replacing the MV with HPS when doing roadworks.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:45:17 PM » Author: Medved
Better FCO 70W MH...

No more selfballasted c***

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:09:49 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Why can't we continue MV UNTIL they perfect MH or make them cheaper so they can start using them whole wildly?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:12:49 PM » Author: Medved
CMH fixtures (and lamps) are allready sold for normal prices, MV's are so cheap, because they are phased out, so manufacturers (and distributors) want to get rid of them in their lists, as they see them not as moneymakers anymore. Try to find some catalogue from 50's or 60's and recalculate MV costs for the inflation since that time...

form109
Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 12:27:11 PM » Author: form109
very Unique Streetlights,they look nice!...not sure how they would hold up in very cold climates.
DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:27:58 AM » Author: DaveMan
I like these better than HPS streetlights, I can say that much.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:58 PM » Author: KEDER
I think florescent street lighting will be cool, but do you know why they dont do it much? A bright enough florescent lamp is much more expensive than the same bright HPS lamp. they try to stay cheap. Plus florescent might be safer. But if the proce for florecent goes down, i think they will start using them.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:38:21 PM » Author: icefoglights
I come from a place with cold winters.  Personally I'm not a big fan of fluorescent lighting outdoors.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:55:02 AM » Author: Medved
I think florescent street lighting will be cool, but do you know why they dont do it much? A bright enough florescent lamp is much more expensive than the same bright HPS lamp. they try to stay cheap. Plus florescent might be safer. But if the proce for florecent goes down, i think they will start using them.

Fluorescent is low light density, high surface area light-source for such source is not possible to make highly direction selective and at the same time efficient optics. For streetlighting you need exact and quite accurate lighting pattern, what has not as high brillance at the same time. And for this you need small area lightsource, what mean compact high intensity arc and/or more recently LEDs (even if each is not so powerfull, they are very small area sources, so LED lantern is not one, but an array of mini lanterns each with complete optic, usually made as moulded plastic around the chip).

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 04:43:47 AM » Author: bluelights
We already have many fluorescent streetlights here. Some are CFL, but some have a linear fluoro bulb. No need to say that these are usually pretty dim and not suitable for illuminating main roads...

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48:54 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I was told they are considering making gas stations with fluorescent (T-5 HO) instead of MHs!  Now, that will sorta be like good ol' times!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:32:37 PM » Author: Medved
On gas stations the light sources are placed quite low, so physically larger, diffused less intense source is a plus from light distribution point of view.
In the past HID's were used, because their small physical size made lantern's vapor tight design easier.
But today, at first new materials and design tools allow larger size lanterns to be designed without excessive cost as well.
As second combustible vapor density was lowered by their recycling, so did the associated risk of fire.
As third new fluorescent ballasts, mostly their build in protections, reduced the risk of socket arcing.
All these aspects made the use of fluorescent there an attractive option.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:51 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
wow yer good!

swpidgeon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New fluorescent streetlights? « Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 12:26:58 AM » Author: swpidgeon
Jace, we are installing a lot of new T5HO fixtures in gas canopies.  Not so much in MD, though.  I think it'll catch on with the BGE / PEPCO rebates that are now available.  I've seen a few installations in New England and they look great!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies