Author Topic: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find  (Read 9701 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « on: February 26, 2012, 07:17:41 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Where do you get 18-gauge solid wire like they use on ballasts (at a reasonable price ofcourse)?

Home Depot / Lowes / Etc have 14g & 12g, but no 18g ::) .. I've seen 18 at Ace, but it was stranded and low-voltage.
Never thought such a thing would be nearly impossible to find :o

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:37:13 PM » Author: DieselNut
It does seem hard to find.  I have never seen it at retail either, but I have rewired so many 8 foot fixtures that I always keep the wires from bad 8 foot ballasts and they work well for totally rewiring 4 foot fixtures.
If you find a source, I would be interested also!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:55 PM » Author: funkybulb
 i been buying my wire at Do it best store. they have a wire that soild and it comes in red white and green
 3 wire that comes twisted together. i can find some at A/C supply house Themostat wire that is 18 gage
 that a bit too far some times when i needed wire. most electrical supply houses should carry them in soild wire. it common to used in small motor control circuit panel boards. other than than that i get my wire from bad ballast from junking finds. stranded wire works ok if you get some solder and tin the wires before inserting to the push in type lamp holders but becomes a pain in the rear after a while.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:35 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@funkybulb I have used 20g Themostat wire - just for testing (sounds very much like the 18g you got, even same colors)
But most of that stuff I believe is only rated for low-voltage .. not the 600 or so ballasts can put out LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:37:35 PM » Author: nogden
You are looking for "fixture wire". That might help your search. My electrical supplier sells it -- by the roll. At one time, I always needed it and didn't have enough. Eventually I scraped up enough here and there that I have enough for occasional projects, so I've never bought it by the roll.

Just searched for it on the Web and found this wire for $15.54 for 100ft. plus shipping. I didn't try to find a better price, but that is a good starting point.

In a pinch, I've used 12ga. THHN building wire and screw-terminal sockets, but that's much harder to work with.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Thanks nogden. looking around some I don't think that price is too bad :) even beats what I saw on eBay tonight...

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 18g Wire For Ballasts .. Where To Find « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:59:56 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
i just save it from scrap ballasts.or cut off leads from full lead replacements where the original was spliced in with wirenuts.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies