Author Topic: any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there?  (Read 2739 times)
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there? « on: February 19, 2012, 09:04:06 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
picked up a really nice medicine cabinet/mirror/light unit.
someone replaced the chokes with noisey cheap ones.
i want silent replacements.or it goes on the 12v side of my home.yep dc ballasts.
had some older ones that were potted but they must have had shorted turns as they got hot and stunk.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there? « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05:30 AM » Author: Medved
Wait a minute: Series choke ballast could work only on AC with voltage about twice the lamp arc voltage or more, so only to the AC mains.
On higher DC voltage (from 4/3 of the arc voltage) the series combination of the choke and resistor (an incandescent,...) would make nice preheat ballast, but as this would be on DC, it would be quiet, regardless how lousy it would be put together. When the supply voltage is large enough, the choke is not needed, but the losses in the resistor would be high.

12VDC is too low to supply the arc, so such ballast always include some sort of inverter. It may be either some electromechanical one (rotary, vibrating) or an electronic solid state one.

The electromechanical inverters would be always loud, as they do contain moving parts, that would always emit some noise. The only way to get rid of it mean hide the inverter into some soundproofed box.

The electronic ones could be made quiet, as they do not have any moving part. Usually operate at few kHz (older units) till few 10's kHz (newer devices). The older, lower frequency tend to whine (the operating frequency match the area of the best sensitivity of human ears), but are very simple and usually work for very long time (the semiconductors have huge margin in switching speed, the line transents are way faster then the operation, so they are filtered by the magnetic components before they reach the semiconductors).
The newer higher frequency ones benefit from operation above the hearing range, but as the semiconductors operate near their limits (slight deterioration of their switching speed, e.g. when heated up by an overvoltage spike, mean huge increase in losses, usually triggering a thermal runaway and destruction; And the disturbances on the supply line are not filtered by the magnetics, as compare to the frequency they are not as fast anymore)

No more selfballasted c***

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there? « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:16 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
i have electronic 12v ballasts.
i am looking for quiet ac chokes to replace the cheapies with.its on the other side of my bedroom wall and the hum/buzz is unacceptable.the 12v ballasts are dead quiet and i have 12v close to the unit.can set it up either way.
i can easily return this to original at any time.
the ones i see in stores dont even have a sound class rating anymore.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there? « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:15 PM » Author: DieselNut
Several of us got some Sylvania 14,15, 20 watt tar potted "choke" ballasts from member "Bowling Mania" here a while back.  They are very quiet and seem to drive a 20 watt tube much better than many of those chinese made cheapie open coil chokes.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there? « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:58:03 PM » Author: funkybulb
Well found some sylvania Potted choke at restore today. I can get more when i go back.
if you need one let me know. http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-64050
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:09:36 AM by funkybulb » Logged

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: any really quiet f15t8 chokes out there? « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:30:33 PM » Author: Powell
LOWES did have these, now you have to special order....

NNNN!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies