Author Topic: It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting!  (Read 2167 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting! « on: August 03, 2012, 04:07:50 PM » Author: Powell
All I can say is ...... OW !

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/oklahoma-hot-street-lamps-melting-203656312.html

NNNN!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting! « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:08 PM » Author: dor123
115*F = 46*C. This is very high In Eilat, there is often 40-45*C (104-113*F) in the summer, but I don't remember of such event that the heat, melts the streetlighting.
In Haifa, we have 31*C (88*F) and 70% humidity today.
I think that we are protected from this heat at home much more, since in almost every home there are split upper, floor or central A/C.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mustang07

View Posts
View Gallery

jon.leach.7
Re: It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting! « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:27 AM » Author: Mustang07
I live in Oklahoma and having experienced this heat first hand I would not be surprised to see those light globes melting. The other day with an infrared thermometer I measured 186F on the hood of my parked car sitting in the sun.  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:32:59 PM by Mustang07 » Logged

"I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting! « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:09:02 PM » Author: Ash
Not result of heat wave. The lights are at way higher temp when they are switched on. They mentioned dumpster fire, now this is the explanation. Besides, are the lights on the next pole melted as well ?

The dumpster fire....Well if there was some dry grass thrown in, and it is metal and in the sun, yep i see how the heat might have set it on fire. But this may as well be result of an idiot with a cigarette
randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting! « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:12:44 AM » Author: randacnam7321
Or something like a spontaneously combusting oily rag.  Only one side of two of the globes on this particular fixture melted, indicating that this was definitely due to a dumpster fire.

Old school FTW!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's so hot in Oklahoma street lamps are melting! « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:15 PM » Author: Ash
As for the non-melted one : It is possible that they were switched on when the fire happened. The combined heat of the lamp and the heat from the fire is sufficient to melt it, but one of them had EOL lamp so it was not as hot
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies