Author Topic: left hand thread light bulbs  (Read 13174 times)
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 10:58:50 AM » Author: James
There is an article on these left hand caps in the newsletter of GE Lamp Components division from 1998, which makes lamp materials for sale to other lighting companies.  They explained that these caps were particularly popular for lighting the tunnels of American subway stations, where bulb theft is apparently particularly rife.  Originally different diameter caps had been used, but not everyone might notice that when removing a bulb.  However when you go to unscrew it and it twists the wrong way, you realise instantly that something is wrong!

In British trains, it was customary for many years to use 3-pin bayonet caps and mushroom shaped bulbs for the same reasons, to discourage pilfering.  Crompton made these kind of special British Rail lamps as late as the mid 1990s, but I think today there are probably no trains left in UK with incandescent lighting.  The 3-pin cap perhaps had another safety reason in this case, because our trains used to use series-wired 65V and 85V lamps, which may explode if accidentally used on the normal 240V mains.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 03:40:53 PM » Author: Rommie
An old thread, but thought I'd revive it, as I just found some LH thread bulbs and the lampholders..! As a hopeless leftie, I love them  :lol:

See here for a photo :bulbman:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 05:29:23 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 02:02:35 PM » Author: AngryHorse
The only left hand thread I know of here is for truck wheels, the left hand wheels have LH threaded nuts so they don’t come loose on the road, the RH are normal clockwise nuts

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 02:09:50 PM » Author: Rommie
The only left hand thread I know of here is for truck wheels, the left hand wheels have LH threaded nuts so they don’t come loose on the road, the RH are normal clockwise nuts
The threads for a lot of things are left handed; the left pedal on bicycles for a start, or it would come off for the same reason as truck wheels. Also the left wheel on a bench grinder, the valve on the acetylene cylinder of an oxy-acetylene torch, probably a few other  things as well, but those are what immediately spring to mind. Oh yes, LPG cylinders I think.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 08:26:50 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Back in the 1980s my cousin worked at a large shipbuilding facility near Boston, MA. He said there were strings of festoon-like, incandescent work lights strung all over the place. Of interest, he said all of them had left-hand threaded sockets so the workers would not steal the bulbs  for use at home, etc. Made plenty of sense to me.  :bulbman:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 11:56:05 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Back in the 1980s my cousin worked at a large shipbuilding facility near Boston, MA. He said there were strings of festoon-like, incandescent work lights strung all over the place. Of interest, he said all of them had left-hand threaded sockets so the workers would not steal the bulbs  for use at home, etc. Made plenty of sense to me.  :bulbman:

But then a light bulb enthusiast might come along and permanently borrow one because they have that kind of lampholder. :mrg: :lol:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 06:50:29 AM » Author: Rommie
But then a light bulb enthusiast might come along and permanently borrow one because they have that kind of lampholder. :mrg: :lol:
That's entirely possible, although we would never do such a thing, of course  :mrg:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 10:20:55 AM » Author: Bulbman256
That's entirely possible, although we would never do such a thing, of course  :mrg:

Never! :mrg:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 08:00:20 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.

Come to think about this again... those left-hand thread lamps might have been 240V or 277V since they were in an enormous ship building yard.
It is common to operate area lighting at higher voltages here in the U.S. in industrial environments. My cousin said that they were usually 100W but did not know what voltage they ran at. If they were the higher voltage type as I suspect, then that probably disappointed bulb-snatchers when they got home even if they had a matching socket.  :laugh:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 08:04:26 PM » Author: Rommie
Interesting, here it's the other way around, certainly on construction sites, I suspect permanent industrial installations are 240V like everything else. Most if not all construction sites here require power tools and on-site lighting to be powered from 240V-110V step-down transformers with the secondary centre-tapped to earth so the maximum voltage to ground is 55V. We have a small 3.3kVA portable one which we use for our power tools and sometimes our 110-120V lamps.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 08:11:53 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Interesting, here it's the other way around. Most if not all construction sites require power tools and on-site lighting to be powered from 240V-110V step-down transformers with the secondary centre-tapped to earth so the maximum voltage to ground is 55V. We have a small 3.3kVA portable one which we use for our power tools and sometimes our 110-120V lamps.

I am sure there were step-down to 120V transformers and outlets around where he worked for whatever purposes (he was a welder). The majority of all of the other tools around the shipyard were hydraulic operating from the higher-voltage feed; others such as cutting torches and welding equipment was from gas.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: left hand thread light bulbs « Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 08:36:51 PM » Author: Rommie
I found some more LH thread bulbs, sadly made in China, but they seem to have an E27 cap rather than E26. They're the same length, anyway. If anyone wants any, I had to buy a pack of 12, I only really wanted three or four..!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies