Author Topic: Want Westinghouse "Circlarc" tubes  (Read 1765 times)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Want Westinghouse "Circlarc" tubes « on: May 29, 2012, 11:40:38 AM » Author: DieselNut
Well I scored the three vintage Westinghouse "Circlarc" fixtures, each of which takes two tubes. I "thought" I had a source for the tubes, but cannot remember where I "put" the link.  If any of yall comes across a source for tubes, I would love six, or more if possible.  If I can find at least one, maybe I can have a sign/neon company to "bend" a 20 watt T12 in its same shape?  Any help welcomed!  Thanks!  John

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Want Westinghouse "Circlarc" tubes « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:09 PM » Author: sol
DieselNut : I always thought the Circlarc tubes were F15T8 that are bent in a half-circle. There might have been some F20T12, though, but all pictures and references of the Circlarc that I read online were, if I remember correctly, F15T8.

Anyways, good luck on your search. Eventually, you will get them, I hope !  :)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Want Westinghouse "Circlarc" tubes « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:29:31 PM » Author: DieselNut
I think you are close to right, but I think they are F20T12 tubes bent into half circles.  If so, I just need to find one as a pattern, even if it is EOL.  I have plenty of F20 tubes.  Maybe someone with neon skills could bend them for me?
*Edit*
You are correct sir.  Here is more information:
http://journal.smpte.org/content/50/6/593.full.pdf
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:48:25 PM by DieselNut » Logged

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Want Westinghouse "Circlarc" tubes « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:47 PM » Author: Medved
 Maybe someone with neon skills could bend them for me?

I think that would not be possible with hot cathode lamps. It is, because the emmission mix require an activation after the tube is sealed and the oxygen pumped away. And after the activation the surface is destroyed when exposed to oxygen.
To prevent the glass from collapsing, there shoud be positive pressure during the bending, but at the same time there should be no oxygen allowed to enter the tube (to avoid cathode damage). Well, I could not imagine any technology to fulfill both requirements.

So the only way to get a lamp of the original spec I could imagine is to use new cathodes - but I don't know, if Neon tubing shops have access to the hot cathode technology.

Maybe converting the tube to cold cathodes (available technology for Neon tube shops) could lead to somehow glowing tube, but then the resulting lamp would not work on the original ballast anymore (and would have way lower operating current and the light output)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies