Author Topic: A false article about T5 and T8  (Read 2278 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

A false article about T5 and T8 « on: May 29, 2012, 12:18:14 PM » Author: dor123
Hebrew
English (Google translated)

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:17:46 PM » Author: Ash
Ignore the Google translation, here is MY translation. Did not alter anything

ECOLOGY
Saving even more electricity - power saving lamps

New energy saving lamps can bring greater savings than the energy saving lamps of the previous generation

15/09/2008 Marlen-Aviva Greenpeter - Epoch Times Israel

The ordinary lightbulbs, which we consumed for decades, utilise less than a tenth of the electricity they consume for light production, while all the rest goes into heat production. So not only you pay a lot on electricity for lighting, perhaps in the summer you also pay for additional electricity for the air conditioner to cool the heat made by those lightbulbs.

Newer and even more efficient model

The spiral lamps of the T8 type from Philips, on which we allready reported to you in the past, indeed save electricity and last longer than ordinary lightbulbs and this is an additional economy. However, the new model from Philips - T5 - has additional advantages. As said by the manufacturer: "T5 light fixtures are more efficient, utilise the energy better, provide brighter light and last longer time".

Doron Gefen, engineer and vice president of marketing and sales in Agas Power Control LTD, which is importing and supplying the new model, tells that in the T5 model the spiral is thinner - 16mm vs 25 in the previous model. The light emitted by the new lamp is brighter by 30 percent than what is produced by the T8 model. But by miracle, the lightbulb uses half of the amount of electricity that was required for T8. The lifetime of T5 lightbulb is double that of T8 lightbulb.

Light fixtures of the T5 family emit light which contains about 85 percent of the color spectrum vs 15 percent only in the T8 model. That is why the light resembles more closely real day light and therefore is healthier.

Adapter to T5 for light fixtures

If you allready installed fixtures of the T8 model, you dont have to replace all of them to T5. An adapter to T5 can be easily connected, which will bring similar savings. The ballast is the unit that powers the lamp and in case of magnetic ballast, it consumes energy even when the fixture is powered off or burnt out. In the T5 model the ballast is electronic and saves way less electricity. The adapters replace the operation of the previous ballast with that of a magnetic ballast.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:16 PM » Author: dor123
They simply don't know anything about color rendering index and spectroscopy, if they says that the new T5 emit light which contains about 85 percent of the color spectrum vs 15 percent only in the T8 model, instead of saying that the new T5 produces a color rendering of 85% vs 65% only in the T8 model. Also, there are triphosphors T8s that produces the same CRI as the T5.
As far as I know from this false article, they simply calls the tubes of the lamps "filament" LOL .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:50 PM » Author: Ash
Do you really think thats all ? Here is the complete list of stuff i spotted :

"The ordinary lightbulbs utilise less than 10% of the electricity". Incandescents are about 2-3% efficient, and CFLs are just on the border of the 10% - the worst CFLs are less than 10% efficient too, so are they inefficient to the same extent ? SOX is less than 50% efficient, so is it inefficient too ?

"The spiral lamps of the T8 type" - anybody here know what type of lamp they are talking about ?

"the new model from Philips - T5" - is it only me, or they read some article about the new Philips Alto's with lower mercury, then remembered only "New" "Philips" "Greener", then put it in an article about energy efficiency ?

"T5 light fixtures last longer time" - Ask Kev about this one

"Doron Gefen, engineer, tells that in the T5 model the spiral is thinner" - What type of lamp exactly we are talking about, engineer ?

"The light emitted by the new lamp is brighter by 30 percent" - You mean for the same wattage ? Wait, there is no lamp of the same wattage throughout the entire range of T8 vs T5. And are you talking about T5 HE or HO ? vs T8 halo or triphosphor ? Is the ballast included ?

"lightbulb uses half of the amount of electricity" - so wait, we are comparing a lamp of 1/2 the power, and claim that it is also 2x brighter. So you claim that T5 is 4x more efficient than T8 ? Sorry dude, T5 HE 28W takes 28W and T8 halo takes 42W (36W with magnetic included) for about the same output, thats just some 1.5x in efficiency. Take a triphosphor T8 and its down to 1.2x. Take triphosphor T8 on HF and its the same efficiency exactly as the T5 HE

"The lifetime of T5 lightbulb is double that of T8 lightbulb" - I heard that lamps on HF in general last longer, and perhaps the T5 has some more advantage too. But this varies mainly with production quality more than anything else. With good T8's lasting 10-20 years on Switch Start and 20-30 years on Perfect Start (all magnetic), there is little experience to say how long would T5 last (on Programmed Start, assuming no ballast failures)

"Light fixtures of the T5 family emit light" - The light fixture emits light depending on the type of lamp installed in it. Install /8xx triphosphor lamps, get 8x CRI

"which contains about 85 percent of the color spectrum" - Is this even the correct definition of CRI ?

"vs 15 percent only in the T8 model" - CRI 15 ? Did you compare it to a germicidal lamp T8 or something ?

"and therefore is healthier" - This might be true, but is there evidence relating CRI and health ?

"An adapter to T5 can be easily connected, which will bring similar savings" - OK so we have 300mA instead of 430mA going through the magnetic (which is still in the fixture), that about 1/2's the losses on it, and we save about 3W losses. Besides, we replaced a 36W lamp with 28W lamp. Is it worthy for the cost of the adapter AND reduced lighting vs. a triphosphor T8 ? Just relamp themp with triphosphor and leave 1 out of 4 lamps out (or its starter out), same power savings and better light levels

"in case of magnetic ballast, it consumes energy even when the fixture is powered off" - Is it ?

"or burnt out" - A fixture with stuck starter indeed consumes power, but won't you replace the burnt lamp in this case ? It makes little sense to actually count the amount of power wasted by fixtures which are broken. Speaking of burned fixtures, its more common with electronics btw

"The adapters replace the operation of the previous ballast with that of a magnetic ballast." - No they dont, they add the adapter on the output of the magnetic. (the "magnetic" at the end is probably a typo (in the original), should be electronic)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:49:28 PM » Author: dor123
Ash: Adapters for T5s have an integrated electronic ballasts, and they bypasses the magnetic ballast, when installed and operated. The magnetic ballast, remains here to be used as a surge protector for the electronic ballast of the adapter. The T5 don't operates directly from the magnetic ballast.
All of the T8s and T5s, have the same specific surface brightness for their family (For example all of the T8s have the same surface brightness). It is the lumens that varies between the wattages of the lamps and the efficiency between lamps types.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:25:07 AM » Author: Ash
The megnetic ballast is in series with the electronic ballast's input

For 28W it means that about 150-200mA are still going through it, and so are the losses from it about 1-1.5W

For 54W it means about 300-400mA so 3-5W losses. So we can even not save any power at all if we use 54W HO
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:24:26 AM » Author: dor123
Ash: And of course, most of the T5 installations in Israel are of 49W, 54W and 80W T5 HO.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:27:07 AM by dor123 » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A false article about T5 and T8 « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:03 AM » Author: Ash
The most common i see are the sizes that fit in as replacement for 18 and 36W, so 14, 28 and 54W
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies