Author Topic: Repairing light bulbs  (Read 2671 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Repairing light bulbs « on: April 14, 2012, 01:01:57 AM » Author: ace100w120v
You know how sometimes  :inc: :inc: :inc: don't have their filament detach completely when they burn out?  I know how to repair them!
Simply shake the bulb around until the filament re-welds itself to the frame. How simple!
What do you guys think? Please let me know!
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing light bulbs « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:36:21 AM » Author: marcopete87
i used to repair lamps with this method, but when they are EOL, if repaired, they will fail soon again.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing light bulbs « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:02:24 PM » Author: ace100w120v
As I discovered this morning.  I wrote this last night. The previous lamp went for several days though.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing light bulbs « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:37 PM » Author: Ash
Did it just open in the same spo or blow in another ?

To prevent the filament from opening in the same spot, leave the lamp in the position in which the contact is the most stable. For example pendant fixture which is wired with solid wire, leave it bent "up" or in whatever direction in which you made the contact 1st time
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Repairing light bulbs « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:38 PM » Author: BG101
It's often possible to weld heaters in thermionic valves (tubes) and Cathode Ray Tubes using EHT from a CRT TV or monitor. However they are not under such extreme thermal stress as they only run at orange heat.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

dobkin

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing light bulbs « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:52:28 PM » Author: dobkin
Most standard wattage bulbs have a fuse within the base that will blow when the filament breaks - also what contributes to the bright FLASH when the filament does fail.  In the 1960s I frequently rewelded broken filament bulbs - using a rotating motion while the lamp is turned on.  Or peering through the base where its sometimes not frosted and you can see exactly where to hold the bulb to get the filament to reattach (much easy to do with clear bulbs).  I think sometime in the 1960s bulb manufactureres put fuses inline with the leads from the base to the filament support and once these blow its not practical to repair the bulbs unless you can remove the base and reconnect the wires to where the fuse blew or use liquid conductive silver. 
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing light bulbs « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 07:29:00 AM » Author: Ash
The fuses are not as much to stop repqairing lamps, but to protect from explosions at EOL and from tripping breakers / blowing main panel fuses
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies