Author Topic: Pre WWII GE Mazda bulbs labeled "THE DETROIT EDISON COMPANY"  (Read 2715 times)
tripacer
Pre WWII GE Mazda bulbs labeled "THE DETROIT EDISON COMPANY" « on: January 24, 2012, 02:21:19 PM » Author: tripacer
I'm a new member so this is my frist post.  I've been a bulb collector for many yrs with the focus primarily on early incandescents.  In the 70's I bought at a barn sale a carton of 6 frosted GE 60w, 120v bulbs that are NOS in the orginal cartons.  The GE logo on the bulb reads "THE DETROIT EDISON COMPANY"  and the carton is labeled GE EDISON MAZDA LAMP.  The seller told me that they had been purchased new sometime prior to WWII and kept in storage.  The cartons are orange and blue as oppposed to yellow and blue for later GE products.  Each bulb carton carries the marking FE 2139.  I feel it may be a date code meaning 21st wk of the 39th yr.  I would like to hopefully authenticate the approximate date of manufacture if possible.  Although frosted, the bulbs are not bright white like current bulbs, but a greyish white.  I'm attaching some pictures that may help anyone with knowledge regarding GE bulb particulars.  Thanks for any assistance.  - tripacer   
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Pre WWII GE Mazda bulbs labeled "THE DETROIT EDISON COMPANY" « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:32 AM » Author: Silverliner
They are NICE bulbs! I think they are from around 1926 or 1927. I have some bulbs from that era in these sleeves, including a few marked "Property of NY State". These are some of the earliest inside frost bulbs!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Pre WWII GE Mazda bulbs labeled "THE DETROIT EDISON COMPANY" « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:58:39 PM » Author: nogden
Those are very nice lamps indeed! I have several Detroit Edison lamps in my collection. Detroit Edison is an electric supplier in Michigan. We aren't on Detroit Edison, but I had a great uncle that used to work at Detroit Edison. He used to bring home packages of those lamps for us. I still have a few (and still have a few in service here and there).
Globe Collector

View Posts
View Gallery

Preserving the Brightest Ideas of Our Age

Re: Pre WWII GE Mazda bulbs labeled "THE DETROIT EDISON COMPANY" « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:17 AM » Author: Globe Collector
Hello Everyone
     This is my first post too. The reason for the "gerysh white" colour is because these lamps have been internally etched with hydroFLUoric acid.
     Modern "frosted" lamps are internally electrostacically coated with very finely divided silica, called "fumed" silica. This proces does not involve hydrofluoric acid, which presents serious health issues, particularly bone necrosis.
     In Australia we call lamps with this type of finish "Pearl Lamps", and we call the hydrofluoric acid etching process "pearlling".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:38:38 AM by Globe Collector » Logged

Manufactured articles should be made to be used, not made to be sold!

Fee, Fye, Fow, Fum, A dead man's eye and a parrot's BUM!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies