Author Topic: Help: Possible Half-Piper? Unknown Australian fixture  (Read 2857 times)
olderfleet
Help: Possible Half-Piper? Unknown Australian fixture « on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:06 AM » Author: olderfleet
Hello everyone. I am totally new to this forum and this is my first post.

I come from the state of Victoria, Australia. In this state between 1954 and 1977, almost every primary and secondary school was constructed according to a design called "Light Timber Construction" (LTC). The designs were standardised and so many schools looked almost identical.

The three schools I went to were all LTC and every classroom was fitted out with these light fixtures:

I have some questions:
1. Does anyone know who manufactured these? (I'd assume that they're Australian made, but could be wrong)
2. What are the 'caps' on the ends called? (Originally wider tubes were used in these fixtures)
3. Does anyone else also recognise these?

I believe this may be called a "half piper" but it doesn't quite seem like the others I have seen on this forum.

Given the number of schools built between 1954 and 1977, thousands of these must have been manufactured. Most classrooms typically had the version with three tubes, whilst offices tended to have a similar version with two. I have also seen a rare version with four.

Many schools have pulled these out and replaced them with newer versions with two tubes and a diffuser. As many LTC schools are now being remodelled or bulldozed, they are becoming rare. This fixture was taken through a window at a school that is now being rebuilt.

I have rarely seen these (or remember them) in private buildings, but occasionally I have spotted them.

You can see a suspended version of these fixtures in an old government building here. And here's an in situ shot taken in 1970.

Any help will be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:55:32 AM by olderfleet » Logged
olderfleet
Re: Help: Possible Half-Piper? Unknown Australian fixture « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56:50 AM » Author: olderfleet
By sheer coincidence, I found a suspended two-tube version today at Victoria University:

This facility also had three-tube versions but none had those end caps.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies