Author Topic: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp  (Read 11929 times)
yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « on: August 22, 2012, 12:38:37 AM » Author: yuandrew
In a dream I had years ago, there was a vapor-tight type fixture by the back door of a Taco Bell with what appeared to be a spiral CFL except when turned on, it glowed a dim reddish-pink then warmed up into the familiar yellow-orange of a low pressure sodium lamp.

Well, a few days ago, I came across this while searching Google for some solar lighting products
http://shinypv.en.alibaba.com/product/500736774-212935356/90W_Nono_low_pressure_sodium_lights.html

This is a 90 watt low pressure sodium lamp with the discharge tube spiraled so it would fit into what appears to be a 35 watt sized outer envelope. Its marketed by China based Shandong Blessed Huihuang PV Energy Co, LTD who makes photovoltaic modules and solar powered lighting products.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:20:26 AM » Author: dor123
Never seen a helical LPS lamps.
They are "CSL" (Compact Sodium Lamp) lamps.
I think however, that because a helical shape traps more heat that a plain U shape, this lamp should run up more quickly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:09:24 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:19:54 PM » Author: Medved
Well, for sure one drawback of helical fluorescents is not present here: The uneven phosphor deposition and related problems - as LPS have no phosphor...
And the another drawback become an advantage: Compact shape mean high heat buildup (LPS design generally fight with the amount of energy necessary to keep the arctube hot enough).
But one remain and it is even more impactinng: The "shining into itself". Unlike fluorescents, where the tube absorb (even when significant, but still) fraction of the light, what the tube is shinning into itself, here all the emited light, what hit another tube part, is lost - the hot sodium absorb majority of the light at the sodium characteristic wavelength, so of the light it is supposed to generate. Fluorescent's atmosphere is similarly absorbent, but for the Hg UV lines. The wavelengths generated by the phosphor are not affected anymore by the Hg vapors, while the white powder of the other phosphor layers only diffuse the light, absorbing only little.

No more selfballasted c***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:03:13 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Thats increadable :o, a spiral SOX!!, lets just hope if China wants to build them they try and make a good job of them.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:41:17 PM » Author: James
Very intriguing!  In the 80s Philips also made prototypes of compact SOX lamps, which had the U-shaped discharge tube double-folded (as in an SL compact fluorescent lamp), or made into a spiral configuration just like this.  Both were unsuccessful due to the considerable amount of self-absorption which lowered the lamp efficacy so significantly that the one advantage LPS has, that of its high efficacy, was eliminated.

For a solar company, where I imagine efficacy is of utmost importance, I am sure the Chinese will also realise this soon and revert to the conventional U-tube design!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:27:43 AM » Author: dor123
James: The light absorption of the helical CFL (By the fact that the light from one side of the spiral, is blocked by the phosphors of the other side of it), is also very high, leading to an efficiency similar to a mercury lamp (~45 lm/w average), while a TC-S non integrated CFL lamp (Which have a plain U shaped single tube), can reach 65 lm/w average for a 9W rating and a ~70 lm/w average for the daylight halophosphors 36W T8 lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:28:07 PM » Author: BG101
I can clearly see the light from the obscured parts of the spirals through the nearer parts in the above examples!

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:45 AM » Author: Ash
I can see it too
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:19:59 PM » Author: Medved
On one lamp you could see there is some extra light behind, but that is by far from twice as bright (as it would be without any losses).
And on the second lamp the "behind" is shielded completely, what give me an impression, than one of the lamps is still not fully warmed up.

With SOX design is quite tight balancing many effects potentially increasing the efficacy of emitted light (lower current density, denser packed tubes, quad instead of double tube,...) and the related drawbacks in selfabsorbtion. On the other hand experiments to address the selfabsorption (linear tubes) didn't survived as well (worse thermal budget, fragile and so not much reliable complex glass forming)

But looking at the spiral, I do not have any impression, than such spiral shape should be much worse than the U-tube.
It for sure lack the preferred direction in the light output (when the tubes are side-by-side; useful for street lighting), but it could be better for tasks requiring fully symmetrical characteristics (where the U-tube emit way less, when one tube is behind the other).

But the question is, what would be the reliability of such complex shape (uniformity of the inner arctube treatment to make the surface resistant towards sodium), even with quite simple U-tube's this is quite troublesome step (one of the reasons, why so few makers were able to produce their own SOX)...

No more selfballasted c***

d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginerding bright things since 2011

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 01:48:14 PM » Author: d3anio97
In a dream I had years ago, there was a vapor-tight type fixture by the back door of a Taco Bell with what appeared to be a spiral CFL except when turned on, it glowed a dim reddish-pink then warmed up into the familiar yellow-orange of a low pressure sodium lamp.

Well, a few days ago, I came across this while searching Google for some solar lighting products
http://shinypv.en.alibaba.com/product/500736774-212935356/90W_Nono_low_pressure_sodium_lights.html

This is a 90 watt low pressure sodium lamp with the discharge tube spiraled so it would fit into what appears to be a 35 watt sized outer envelope. Its marketed by China based Shandong Blessed Huihuang PV Energy Co, LTD who makes photovoltaic modules and solar powered lighting products.

I SO need to track one of these down!! I have a 35w SOX fixture that would look super cool with one of these in it!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:52:11 PM by d3anio97 » Logged

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:55:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
:o Whoa that is cool .. had no idea such a thing existed :o
..Like d3anio97 I'd love to have one..
I wonder if they just operate on a standard 90w SOX ballast? (and/or could be operated on some sorta existing fluorescent ballast - like one of the Fulham's ? )

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 08:05:51 AM » Author: Rommie
This was 6 years ago, they don't appear to be in production any more. The link goes nowhere, anyway.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginerding bright things since 2011

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:02:10 AM » Author: d3anio97
This was 6 years ago, they don't appear to be in production any more. The link goes nowhere, anyway.
Yeah which is a huge bummer.  I guess my next venture will be glass blowing and sputtering for homemade SOX production then... could be cool to toy around with other alkali metals in a SOX like configuration for laughs too... low pressure potassium anyone? Or can I interest you in NaK? Lol

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:28:46 PM » Author: Rommie
The main difficulty with spiral LPS lamps is that the light generated at the innermost parts of the lamp just doesn't make it to the outside, due to self-absorption.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Spiral low pressure sodium lamp « Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:27 PM » Author: BG101
I'm wondering whether some sort of corkscrew-shaped mirror assembly along the middle of the tube would help with this, reflecting more of the light past the arctube from the inside of the spiral?

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies