Author Topic: wheeler boston  (Read 8583 times)
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

wheeler boston « on: May 20, 2007, 07:29:59 PM » Author: prawnman88
does anybody know of this company ? history  or anything? web pages or any kind of info im trying to find out about my light thx guys for any help
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 08:49:59 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I know Dave would know for sure!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: wheeler boston « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:28:52 PM » Author: prawnman88
i dont think hes getting my emails
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:40:49 AM » Author: Silverliner
Hey guys Wheeler Boston was a largish manufacturer of lighting fixtures and street lights based in Boston. They made streetlights with teardrops, radial wave reflectors, quarter moon reflectors, outdoor incandescent scoop floods, etc. They also made horizontal open mercs with quarter moon reflectors. They even made clamshells with and without intergral ballasts. Sadly Wheeler folded in 1978.

Wheeler streetlights were rare in California as well as the West, but I own two Wheelers. One is a Wheeler Boston incandescent with a quarter moon reflector and a rounded head just like your radial wave except mine has the PC socket. The other is a horizontal open 175w mercury with a quarter moon reflector.

Anyway Rich I just got your latest email and I will reply as soon as I can!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

CrestwoodOhio

View Posts
View Gallery

josephmatthews535
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:27:48 AM » Author: CrestwoodOhio
I have a feeling Wheeler lights & Pemco lights were very identical. And also GE & Westinghouse may have each made a model similar to the Wheeler & Pemco lights

6500K Color Temperature Kelvin lighting works for me. I use 6500K CFL in all my incandescent light fixtures. I use 6500K Flurescent bulbs in my flurescent fixtures. I hope prices get better and hope I find 6500K LED lighting in the future. I love energy efficient and Energy Star products. Way to go!

CrestwoodOhio

View Posts
View Gallery

josephmatthews535
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:46:13 AM » Author: CrestwoodOhio
I thought Wheeler Boston also made a funny type Cobrahead streetlight in its later years. And I thought Wheeler Boston merged in with AE/ITT/Thomas & Betts companies in the later years.

6500K Color Temperature Kelvin lighting works for me. I use 6500K CFL in all my incandescent light fixtures. I use 6500K Flurescent bulbs in my flurescent fixtures. I hope prices get better and hope I find 6500K LED lighting in the future. I love energy efficient and Energy Star products. Way to go!

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 08:41:18 PM » Author: streetlight98
That doesn't sound correct to me. AFAIK Wheeler just made "NEMA" style incandescent fixtures with a variety of reflector options.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

CrestwoodOhio

View Posts
View Gallery

josephmatthews535
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:24:00 PM » Author: CrestwoodOhio
That doesn't sound correct to me. AFAIK Wheeler just made "NEMA" style incandescent fixtures with a variety of reflector options.

Images from http://www.vintagestreetlights.com/ by Joe Maurath, Jr.
These are the funny looking Cobraheads The Boston Wheeler company made.

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:47:37 PM » Author: streetlight98
Those are not cobraheads. These are "open bottom" mercury luminaires that use a modded NEMA crescent moon optical. They also made a version with a smaller slipfitter area for horizontal incandescent lamps. Unsure of the point of that since AFAIK, vertical/base-up is the ideal position for an incandescent lamp...

Cobraheads are typically characterized as have a one-piece cast aluminum housing with a hinged cast aluminum door (or doors) and having an enclosed and gasketed optical assembly.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

CrestwoodOhio

View Posts
View Gallery

josephmatthews535
Re: wheeler boston « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:55 PM » Author: CrestwoodOhio
To also explain why I thought Wheeler Boston might've been related to ITT/Thomas & Betts/American Electric,
I notice a back piece of the open bottom mercury luminaire was identical to an ITT cobrahead early model fixture that looked similar to a Westinghouse Silverliner OV-15

Those are not cobraheads. These are "open bottom" mercury luminaires that use a modded NEMA crescent moon optical. They also made a version with a smaller slipfitter area for horizontal incandescent lamps. Unsure of the point of that since AFAIK, vertical/base-up is the ideal position for an incandescent lamp...

Cobraheads are typically characterized as have a one-piece cast aluminum housing with a hinged cast aluminum door (or doors) and having an enclosed and gasketed optical assembly.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:27:09 PM by CrestwoodOhio » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies