Author Topic: Preheat Fluorescent Help...  (Read 7130 times)
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Preheat Fluorescent Help... « on: January 01, 2013, 07:39:59 PM » Author: streetlight98
Hey everyone. I recently got a late 40's single lamp preheat wall mount light from my grandpa's auto body shop but the wires on the GE ballast were so brittle they snapped like twigs when i removed it. I believe the reason the fixture was faulty was because of a bad pull-chain switch.

Anyways, Is anyone willing to part with a single lamp F40T12 preheat ballast for the price of shipping (or a reasonable cost)? Any preheat ballast will do, used or new or NOS. as long as it's HPF/HBF and has full-length leads (not ones that were cut short for any reason).  I'd prefer a name brand ballast like GE, Advance, or Universal since this is for a late 40s fixture i don't want to wire it with a piece of junk. (It also has to be 120V, 60Hz too.)

To anyone that can help: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can't seem to find a HPF single lamp F40T12 preheat ballast... If you are willing to send me a spare you may have laying around, please either reply here or email me at streetlight98@verizon.net Thank you again!

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:38:17 PM » Author: paintballer22
I have one somewhere. I can look for it and let you know on Monday via PM.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:42:20 PM » Author: Medved
I would not count on the solution coming quickly, what you are asking is a stuff not made for many decades, so I'm afraid it would take time till you find some available...

No more selfballasted c***

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:15:07 PM » Author: nogden
I'd gladly help but so far I haven't found any preheat single-lamp ballasts with full length leads in my collection.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:40:50 AM » Author: streetlight98
@ paintballer22; thanks so much! It's very appreciated. 8)

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:11:13 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Some HPF 1-lamp preheat ballasts appeared on ebay. Only $10 + shipping. Advance RSHM-1-40-TP

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:26:29 PM » Author: streetlight98
Ooo thats a nice ballast! :) I did get a pair of NOS 1987 GE NPF F30/F40 preheat ballasts and one will be used in the light. They don't have full length leads and aren't HPF but that was the best deal at the time I could find. Thank you for the listing link though. If anyone else wants that ballast by all means, go for it. :)

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:56 AM » Author: nicksfans
Wish I had found that listing when I needed to replace some HPF single-lamp preheat ballasts. I settled for NPF and it's not worth the money to me to switch them out now.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 11:40:33 AM » Author: streetlight98
Same. I hope my NPF ones have decent ballasts factor. There's really no way to test it but since they're F30/F40 I'd guess not. And unlike RS ballasts, which constantly heat the filaments and prevent sputtering from being underdriver, preheat lamps do not. :-\

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 03:09:21 PM » Author: nicksfans
My Universal NPF ballasts drive the lamps as bright as a HPF Tulamp.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:25 PM » Author: streetlight98
Is it rated for a 30W lamp and a 40W lamp though? Or just a 40W lamp?

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 07:58:31 PM » Author: nicksfans
30 and 40.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:13:23 PM » Author: streetlight98
Hmm ok maybe mine do too then. ;D I don't have any way of testing it though. I really should get a Kill-A-Watt meter...

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:19 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Cool, I didn't know Advance ever made an HPF 1 lamp preheat ballast.

A Kill-A-Watt isn't really an accurate way of determining ballast factor, because the reading you get includes waste heat created by the ballast, as well. What you really need is a multimeter that can read AC current that you can stick in series with the lamp.

Nick, is your ballast rated for the F30T8, or just the F30T12? Whereas the F30T12 is rated for 0.43A like the F40T12, the F30T8 is rated for 0.35A, so such a ballast will underpower the F30T12 and F40T12, while a ballast that doesn't list the F30T8 should do better.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Preheat Fluorescent Help... « Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 08:39:39 PM » Author: nicksfans
It is for F30T8 and F40T12.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies