Author Topic: Advice against running European HID lamps on North American ballasts  (Read 690 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Advice against running European HID lamps on North American ballasts « on: December 09, 2021, 03:48:19 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As I have been aware of the ANSI code system used throughout North America, I often see North American LG members telling other members that they must only operate HID lamps on their correct ballast. Based on this advice, I often get that feeling that many North American members will say stuff like "Since European HID lamps have no ANSI code on the lamp etch, this means they are NOT COMPATIBLE with North American ballasts." I wonder if any North American collectors have been told that advice while trying to collect HID lamps from outside of North America.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Advice against running European HID lamps on North American ballasts « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 05:43:56 AM » Author: dor123
This is false, except running European HPS lamps and regular saturated HPS lamps retrofit for mercury ballasts on American CWA ballasts.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Advice against running European HID lamps on North American ballasts « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:51:09 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It is true that there are Mexican CWA ballasts specifically designed for the Philips SON-T PIA high pressure sodium lamps and the Osram NAV-T Super 4Y high pressure sodium lamps too like I said in previous threads. In addition, Silverliner has had no problems running European 250w high pressure sodium lamps on North American 250w S50 CWA high pressure sodium ballasts since North American high pressure sodium CWA ballasts are designed to handle rising voltage over life since standard North American saturated vapor and standard European saturated vapor high pressure sodium lamps share the exact same arc tube chemistry. The only incompatibility issues I see are with running the saturated vapor high pressure sodium lamps on CWA mercury vapor ballasts.

Here is the post about Silverliner running a European 250w high pressure sodium lamp on a North American CWA ballast:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3531&pos=40&pid=157797

Here is what he says about operating European high pressure sodium lamps on North American CWA ballasts:

"You can run European HPS lamps on USA ballasts just fine, lol. All HPS lamps have voltage rise over life. Dor123 was referring to HPS retrofit lamps for
mercury ballasts. There shouldn’t be issues running European standard HPS lamps in 250w and up because they share the same electrical values. Lower wattage HPS lamps are different as ours are low voltage types designed for 120v chokes. Theirs are more like our low wattage MH lamps."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:03:19 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Advice against running European HID lamps on North American ballasts « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 09:32:52 AM » Author: dor123
What CWA ballasts for HPS lamps different than CWA ballasts for MV lamps, that the former don't sensitive to the voltage rise of HPS lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Advice against running European HID lamps on North American ballasts « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 01:45:19 PM » Author: Rommie
This is all a fuss about nothing if you ask me. Find out what ballast your lamp needs, and use it. Simple as that.

Anyone wants to do otherwise, it's up to them, but don't be surprised if things don't work as you expect them to.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies