Author Topic: A built in planned obsolescence in long T5s, in form of 35*C rated temperature?  (Read 4618 times)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A built in planned obsolescence in long T5s, in form of 35*C rated temperature? « Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 07:26:36 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Thank you Medved for the info. The ballast is instant start and the labels states the "max. voltage output" is "1000v Pk." The lamp starts normally every time without any unusual behavior
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: A built in planned obsolescence in long T5s, in form of 35*C rated temperatu « Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@BlueHalide
I've tested a single F54T5HO doing the same as what you did (wiring up a F32T8 ballast for 2x overdrive of one lamp)
Never had a problem with it starting

Normal output current for a F32 is 265ma...
2x overdrive does not actually mean the ballast will give 265ma*2 (530ma)
in reality instead of doubling the current you'll get between 1.5x to 1.75x (running a T8) -- so 398ma to 464ma depending on ballast (but  in general with a T8 it'll be closer to the lower number, so with a T5 it'll be closer to the higher)

(F54T5 is rated at 460ma so the current should in theory be just about right) - there's another forum I read occasionally, someone there once did some tests and it infact was basically correct.
(I believe F54T5 is 117v & F32T8 is 121v (setting up overdrive I'm not sure what happens LOL to voltage))

There is one danger that I can think of (not to the ballast or even lamp during normal operation) ... but at End Of Life: there is no EOL protection on most instant-start F32 ballasts (those that do have it won't overdrive), the 'bad' end of the lamp could very likely crack...maybe even enough where it'd shatter/fall from the fixture.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies